The slow and unsteady VI swingarm bobber build

Hooked up a regular motorcycle battery and no flicker. Charging system seems to be functioning properly also, so I think I need to loose the minimalist battery.

Bellistic, shorai or ???

Posted via Mobile

Thanks for the reply gggGary, ill check out my grounds.

Of it matters, the light is a bit dim while at idle, but bright when excellerating.

Posted via Mobile

Hooked up a regular motorcycle battery and no flicker. Charging system seems to be functioning properly also, so I think I need to loose the minimalist battery.

Bellistic, shorai or ???

Posted via Mobile

That is just a side effect of the power coming from the alternator I think, and not the battery.

Does it flicker under acceleration too? How badly? I have the same battery, but I'm not too bothered about the headlight flickering a little.

Ryan

It flickers under acceleration as well, but the light is brighter. The flickering is almost unbearable at night.

Posted via Mobile

Hmm, right.

I am going to run an LED headlight, and LED tail light in an attempt to offset any potential current draw issue from the lighting.

Also, not sure if you mentioned it and I missed it, but what ignition are you running?

Ryan

Cool. My bike has a Boyer ignition, and I hear that its much less efficient than the pamco when it comes to power draw.

Anyway, I guess ill just give it a shot and see.

Ryan

What LED headlight & tail light ate you planning on running? I thought about swapping out my light for LED's.

Posted via Mobile

Update.

Been a little crazy around here since the birth of my little girl two weeks ago.

However, I have been able to get a little bit done during my sleep deprived nights.

Installed a small battery and the flickering headlight issue has stopped.

Installed new custom made bars from Zombie Performance and they're sick! Thanks to Steffan.

Next is cleaning up the wiring and running wires through the frame.

Posted via Mobile

Posted from my phone, so sorry about the sideways pic.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    275 KB · Views: 198
Thanks R1. We already have a 2 year old boy, so this little girl should be interesting.

Today's venture was to wrap up the internal wiring and get her road worthy to finish off the summer of riding. The shakedown run reminded me I need to tackle the valve tick that keeps coming back.

The new bars from Zombie Performance are awesome and really comfortable.

To do...

Relocate the ignition.

Replace the stock rear fender

And either get a smaller battery or make a slightly larger battery box to house the extra wires and fuses.

But for now she'll be ridden as is.

Posted via Mobile

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    247.4 KB · Views: 209
Thanks Carbon. She's nothing special but she's really fun. I also have a '73 CB500 and the XS is way more "tourque-y". Even with the lower 32 tooth rear sprocket I put on for lower RPM's on the highway, she's still zippy around town.

Need tires ASAP, tho.

The list to completion is long, but its a fun project.

Ill get more pics up soon.

Posted via Mobile

nice job man! 1st thursdays of the month there is a vintage bike night at crash 45 bar in denver. you should bring your bike down.

Been meaning to. I was out to GB's and Crash 45 the first Thursday in June, but been hard to find the time lately. I should be out to the September 1st Thursday.

So...

I've been having trouble trying to nail down the source of the pesky ticking. Valves are adjusted to spec, but the noise won't stop.

Posted via Mobile

Well, I'm finally back at it. Haven't touched the bike other than firing her up and zipping around the block to keep things moving since last post.

And of course I'm back with a new issue. I've been messing with the carbs to try to remedy the popping on deceleration and I'm getting different plug reading from left to right. Stats are as follows...

BS38's
25 primary
122.5 main
#3 clip
Uni pods
Shorty mufflers

Just reduced the primary from 27.5 and the popping reduced, but the issue now is the new plugs have different readings. Right side shows lean and left side shows rich.

Coils?
Fuel levels?
Something plugged?

Thanks in advance

Posted via Mobile

So I pulled the coil wires at the caps ad reattached them. One side, the side that shows rich readings, may not have had a good connection (the threaded part wasen't lined up with the middle of the coils wire). I'll fire it up this afternoon and do a plug chop.

Also, anybody have thoughts on the cause of the returning ticking? The more I search, the more I'm thinking I need to pull the top end and replace the camshaft bearing. Could a bad bearing be the culprit on the returning tick?

Posted via Mobile

Back