thicker oil to stop small oil leakage?

So I switched to the standard mineral 20w/50 oil, sold for cars and/or older worn engines.

Anyway, it did seem to seal it from sweating, which was my original intention with changing to a heavier oil. Have so far only taken the bike for an hours ride at higher speeds. Don't know if it will keep it sealed, though, in the long run. But it's worth a try.

Okej, it's not specifically made for motorcycles with wet clutches, but after reading this article (link posted in another thread here on the forum) http://www.ducatimeccanica.com/oil.html, I wanted to try. Cheaper car oils vs expensive motorcycle oils!

The clutch didn't slip neither, even though the oil wasn't marked with JAS (or mentioned wet clutches), which I've learned should indicate that it has been tested for wet clutches. It did have all other abbreviations, though, so the quality should be okej.

EUREKA!!!! Isn't it amazing, the great black hype:)

I'll keep using NAPA SAE30W or 40W (which is produced by Havoline), and :D all the way to the bank:laugh::bike:
Just my :twocents:...........(If it was synth motorcycle oil it woud be my :twocents::twocents::twocents::twocents::twocents::twocents::twocents::twocents::))

I use Walmart oil. The guy at the checkout told me Mobile makes it for them. Works fine for me. I get the 5 quart jug which gives me two oil changes for about $15.

10W30 and lighter car oils have anti-friction additives to make them more "energy efficient". These additives can make your clutch slip. 40W and thicker oils aren't helped by these additives (made more energy efficient) so they aren't added. 40 or 50W car oils are all I've ever used in any of my bikes. I've never used the special motorcycle oils. I've never worn a motor out or had one implode.

If you have not done so, you might try adding the power brake check valves to the ends of your breather hoses. These reduce crankcase pressure and can reduce, sometimes even stop, minor oil leaks.

Uni-CheckValve.jpg

Where can I get hold of a check valve for the crank case breather and how's it fitted if I have the original air box with K&N filters?

Last edited:
Hi Grab 68,
got mine in PartSource, in the UK try Halfords (I left the UK in '69; they still around?)
It's the same brake check valve they use on half the cars ever made.
The fat end is the same OD as the breather spigot, use a short length cut off the breather hose or similar as an adapter.
5twins lets his breathe atop the leftside carb. pod. I hooked a length of 5/16" plastic hose on mine with the other end tie-wrapped to the swingarm so it breathes onto the chain just like on Grandpa's Norton.

Halfords are still around but pretty crap now.I I can see how 5twins has rigged it now.I take it it's a check valve for each breather (I have the breather that splits into 2).

Back