Think I messed up cutting my frame a little

Joe Dirt

XS650 Member
Reaction score
So I jumped the gun and cut my frame for my 79 before the tcbros hardtail got here. First I took OFF the wrapped around sheet metal "support" where the tube bends down under the tank. I see the tc directions say to leave this on, is it a major deal?

Also I was suppose to leave 3/4" behind the exhaust mounts for the hardtail plugs to slide into. On one side I accidentally had the cut wheel a little angled and it's a hair under 1/2" leaving a decent gap. Can this just be filled in when I get it welded up?

I'll try to get some pics up later to help me explain what I mean.

Last edited:
Joe,

Should not be a problem, you will need a frame jig to set up the hardtail alignment - the purpose of cutting 3/4" behind the exhaust mounts is to aid with the alignment of the hardtail kit.
I made up a jig for my frame when I installed the TC bros kit - glad I did as my frame would not have been straight if I had just gone ahead & installed without checking.

You may not need a jig so long as your engine is bolted into the front triangle and your exhaust mounts are still intact. That wrap around support you removed is simply a little gusset to increase the rigidity of that bend.

TC instructions have you measure from the exhaust mount to the rear of the axle plate, so even is you took off .25" too much behind the exhaust mount, you can still get the hardtail aligned and welded in sufficiently enough.

Just be careful with trying to fill in gaps with weld. This creates a lot of heat from the melting steel and will cause the hardtail to move around from the expansion and contraction from the heat differential.

Ideally you want your metal pieces to fit like a glove 100% before you even touch your welder. I know there are a lot of people here who say its ok and fill a lot of shit with weld but its really not the proper way to go about metal fabrication.

Just go slow with everything if this is your first time. You will want to just go and go because its so fun and exciting. But trust me, take your time. Slow down. take frequent breaks to stop and look at what you are doing to make sure things are aligned properly.

Just my 2 cents

Crime scene choppers have plans for a frame jig.

If your tubes are to short get a long bung and put a small sleeve of tube in then do two welds rather than trying to fill with weld. grind the ends back so they align square first.

Also if your having troubles and are a novice it might be better to outsource the welding. I'm not going to try and weld my frame, brackets etc maybe but not the frame.

Best of luck!

Back