Thinking of updating carbs on 75 xs 650 bored to 750, is this a good deal?

Moisstink

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have been thinking about updating my carbs for a few reasons. Let me know if these are a good direction to stock carbs. As stated in the title I just bought a 1975 xs 650 that is bored out to a 750. I am having some issues with the engine and I am thinking carbs may be part of the problem. Thanks in advance. If anyone has a problem with the link below let me know and I will find a better way to navigate to the page.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/171629622001?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

Thanks again,
Kevin

Those are good carbs, but I can't say one way or another for the vendor. Look up Hoos Racing, for that price you can get the same carbs custom jetted to your bike/altitude, intakes, throttle cable, filters, extra jets and good customer service.

I should just add, I can't say if carbs are your issue or not for lack of description.. But if you are gonna go with a carb upgrade, that's my pick.

How many times do I have to write this? You can buy carbs that are BASELINED to your setup, altitude, etc., but even a master tuner (which Gary Hoos surely is) cannot TUNE your carburetors for you at a distance; final jetting has to be done on the motor. You can't buy a bolt-on-and-go, pretuned, aftermarket carburetor.

A few bits of advice: 1.) If you don't know how to tune, do your homework BEFORE you buy aftermarket carburetors instead of asking questions that have been asked and answered so many times that we're tied of responding to them. 2.)If you're unwilling to learn, leave aftermarket carburetors the hell alone. 3.) Don't read those component-and-range charts as though they'll tell you all you need to know. In both VM and BS series carburetors, for example, a change in jet needle position will affect the mixture all the way down to closed throttle.

Hoos Racing is a fine, ethical vendor. Another guy who's a master tuner and goes the extra mile in customer support is Michael Morse of 650 Central. I don't know what kind of job Niche does on tech support, but their listing makes it clear there's a difference between BASELINED carburetors and TUNED carburetors, and that's a plus.

One more thing: The VM carburetor design is older than the BS vacuum carbs that are OE on the XS650. Installing VM carbs is by no means an "update."

Apologies OP, yes griz is right. Didn't want you to think it would work straight away with no, hence why I said "extra jets". Gary will jet them initially based on his best guess and provide you follow up info based on symptoms you are having with the new carbs.

What issues are you having? Many carbs have been worked on, only to find it was the ignition.
Leo

Back