This is the SICKEST xs top end ever!! (Because its mine)

da evil one

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Here it is with the tappet covers and oil feed tube polished, a new bolt kit from Mikes and and a little Duplicolor high temp paint to clean up the questionable lines. The verdict is in: Contrary to my former leanings, I am NOT polishing the cases! Fug dat! Black Duplicolor will do just fine. Im currently polishing the side covers and Im done with the damned polishing. Ive been at this shit since November almost every friggin night for at least 6 hours. Hope you fellas think this is gonna set the bike apart from the others once its in what I consider a pretty hot roller! Ill have the motor assembled and in the bike in the next week and pics will come forthwith!

Attachments

• Top end with tappets and bolt kit polished.jpg
    Top end with tappets and bolt kit polished.jpg
    302.1 KB · Views: 471
  • Top end with bolt kit and tappets polished 2.jpg
    Top end with bolt kit and tappets polished 2.jpg
    308.3 KB · Views: 405
  • Top end with tappets and boltt kit polished 3.jpg
    Top end with tappets and boltt kit polished 3.jpg
    299.9 KB · Views: 406
  • Top end with bolt kit and tappets polished 4.jpg
    Top end with bolt kit and tappets polished 4.jpg
    302 KB · Views: 386
I admire your determination, I get pissed just polishing a tappet cover!
Never seen an XS with apolished head & anyone that has ever attempted any polishing will certainly admire & realise the work involved :thumbsup:

looks great bro
i know there had to be many hours involved in that project

quick paint suggestion
duplicolor is a good product and i have used it before for a few engines

but i have been using plasti cote for many years and recomend it for all engines and well just about anythnig
recoat anytime, nice coverage and it holds up to gas , oil etc.

i always had problems with the cure time on the duplicolor

just my 2 cents

Although this looks great and truly beautiful, I think you will find your cylinder head temps higher due to the fins being polished. They are suppose to be rough so the air that flows between them can be more effective to dissipate heat.
Certainly not trying to diminish your efforts though.
Very nice looking...

yeah, ive heard that before. im gonna just hope it doesnt make THAT big of a difference. if it does then i guess this will look real pretty on my mantle or something.

shop file first to smooth them. then 400, 1000 and 2000 grit sandpaper. scotchbriet and a polishing wheel toward the end. the edges of the fins have been filed flat and then re-rounded a little as well. thats what made them look thicker.

oh, i just got off the phone with my mechanic about the fins and the sandcasting theory. myth. they were sandcasted for economy. has nothing to do with cooling. guys been building jap bikes for 30 years. i take his word. partly because its what i want to hear:) but mostly because i know he knows his shit. besides, you REALLY think those little bumps in the casting really do all THAT? thats japs being cheap with the molds.

very nice work. i just joined as i am looking to buy an xs myself in Australia ;p. i think you should be ok, the theory behind the better cooling with the sandcast finish is that is has a greater surface area exposed to the air flow. more surface area from all the little bumps/rough surface = better cooling/ heat dissipation. probably not noticeable though.

cheers

I don't think it has to do with the rough surface but, rather, that you effectively sealed the surface by polishing. If you were to look at the cast surface under a microscope it would be rough and pitted....open pores that dissipate heat.
The polished surface is smoother and tends to hold the heat in.

That's the theory, anyway. I fool around with air cooled VW's, too. This has been the topic of many angry threads before. The verdict? None.
I think that it may run hotter than NOT polished, but not hot enough to worry about.
Maybe throw a temp gun on it when you get it running and let us know the head and cylinder temps. I can check my stock engine (media blasted head and jugs, no paint or sealer) and I know a few other guys with XS's and a temp gun.

Oh, it looks NICE! And I feel your pain about polishing. Without the proper tools (HIGH speed buffer, proper compounds, knowledge and tons of elbow grease), it sucks. Big time.

Yea, that whole rough textured cylinder theory is just that a theory. I've powder coated and/or polished every cylinder and head on everything I've built. From my 88hp banshee which are known for over heating to my block, heads and intake on my mustang and have not seen a negative impact. I've even been around and around with the engineers at work (fords romeo engine plant) and they keep saying it cools better yet they can't find any data to back up there statement, but I due agree that you might want avoid powder coating anything thats air cooled and will be idling for any given length of time.

i just dont get how you see all these crazy built harleys sporting billet heads and jugs and they dont have problems. those things have twice the displacement of a 650 and more.

Back