This is Why I Don't Drive in the City

^That sounds like the beginning of some fiction titled Magic Power Girl. The hand signals reminds me one thing you want to avoid at all costs is confusing people. If I was considering pointing to a space I was going to swoop into, I'd be afraid they'd interpret the pointing as my suggestion they go there, ending with us both in there....

For safety in general there's a classic book, the first and still the best, Proficient Motorcycling. Keeps you from having to think up your own safety stuff.

The hand signals reminds me one thing you want to avoid at all costs is confusing people.

Great point. As mentioned in an earlier post, fewer and fewer people know the existence of such things called hand signals let alone what they mean.

Thanks for reminding me about Proficient... It's on my shelf and I haven't opened it in a while.

Gee, Bob, that's a great suggestion--stand up on the pegs like an observed trials rider, for greater agility. Guess that's why you see all the guys standing up on really tight road race tracks, they can steer quicker that way. Now assuming a guy has decent brakes on his machine, I wonder what's going to happen in a traffic situation when he stands up and then finds that he has to grab a handful of front brake? I've ridden for only 52 years so I really don't know, but I'd guess the rider would need to waste a critical split second to sit back down or get pitched over the bars.
Griz.....
can't you say anything to me that isn't sarcastic or nasty for christs sake ? get a grip Griz !
if you find you have to hit the brakes hard you sit down it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure that out !
it's called being aware of your surroundings standing on the pegs has saved my ass a number of times, gave me more control
I can slide the bike sideways both wheels and still be in control when standing because the ass of the bike doesn't slide out from under you !
that's how I missed a herd of deer that jumped in the road and tried to beat me across the road.... if I wasn't standing on the pegs I'ed have went down the ass of the bike would have gone first in a slide because that's where the weight is
if your brakes are set up properly you can hit them standing or sitting it just takes a bit of practice try it it could save your life !
if you don't stand on the pegs when your forced to go over a 18 wheeler recap laying in the road it will launch you 20 feet in the air ! standing on the pegs you'll still get a big bump but nothing you can't handle .....
I'm not pulling that out of my hat Griz I'm stating from experience .... if the situation demands it stand on the pegs ! don't sit there and be bucked off ! because a bike can and will launch you into the air so far you cannot recover ! ....
but sense you know everything You tell them the best method , ok ?
thanks for the encouragement ! what a great guy !
Bob........

The only thing I've ever seen on these videos with which I totally would disagree was one where the instructor gave tips on riding a street motorcycle on snowy and icy roads. His tips included gems like: "don't brake or steer suddenly" and "ride only in the tracks of vehicles ahead" and "seek the bare patches in the road and avoid the actual snow".

I am Canadian and have a lot of winter driving experience and consequently, I only have one tip for that situation: DONT. The whole idea of riding a large motorcycle on a snowy or icy road is ...idiocy. There is simply no way to do it safely.

Pete

You have a definite long season of snow, though. In the UK the vast majority of the country doesn't get a flake for most of the time, most winters, and it can happen suddenly, leaving you with the option of dumping the bike somewhere and hoping it will still be there when you get back, or simply riding home carefully. Most journeys are short, anyway.
Apart from that, a trailie can be fun in the snow for a while, at least.

I live 20 minutes outside of the city of Syracuse, and I never take the bikes into the urban streets or highways. Here is an example of the reason(s) why I avoid the big city. It happened yesterday:

23097402-mmmain.jpg

Blog_p2.jpg

" A slow-moving tractor trailer struck a motorcycle and pushed the bike and its rider about 150 feet under the front bumper until another motorist alerted the truck driver, Onondaga County sheriff's deputies said tonight.

The motorcyclist, 27-year-old Steven McGill, of Brewerton, was sent to Upstate University Hospital with injuries that are not considered life-threatening, Sgt. Jon Seeber said. "

The truck driver said that he didn't see the bike.

He did not see the bike, HELLO!!!

On Benzedrine or cell phone what chance do we have??

Back