This should help people wanting to run forwards and rear disc

BareKnuckles

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have been looking for ideas since I joined so I just did it myself... TC Brothers forward controls, TC Brothers drum pivot used to make a rear disc setup work. I'll be happy to answer any questions. This setup is awesome!

Attachments

• IMG-20120310-00287.jpg
    IMG-20120310-00287.jpg
    306.8 KB · Views: 507
  • IMG-20120310-00286.jpg
    IMG-20120310-00286.jpg
    314.4 KB · Views: 475
Is it safe to use a rod like that in compression?
I would think you would want your braking action to pull a little rod like that.
I'd be afraid of it bending of I jammed on the brakes.
I'm fairly inexperienced with motorcycles though, so maybe that's common practice?

That is the master that I am going to use when I eliminate my master on the bars for my front brake. I think it is something like .3 mm smaller than the standard one on the bars, but I don't think it will make a difference and should stop just as well.

I would think you would want your braking action to pull a little rod like that.
I'm fairly inexperienced with motorcycles though, so maybe that's common practice?
It's a straight shot and works great. That threaded rod will have a tube over it for strength

Kind of unrelated but, make sure you have enough clearance between your fender and wheel.... I spent tons of time fitting and shaping mine. Just to melt the paint on the first ride....... On tv shows I have seen them lay a piece of chain on the tire as a spacer. Just a thought yours looks real tight

Hairsnake, why do you run the spring? doesn't the pressure in the system make the brake pedal come back up? Mine does. However I do think it needs a spring just to give it better "feel". My MC is mounted exactly like that.
Did you try yours first without the spring? just curious is all. I probably need to add a spring and a pedal stop screw.

Looks a little like trying to push a truck with a drinking straw to me, but I'm not the one building it. My first thought was it's very exposed, but then again, NO MOTOR! That'll help!

If that rod has a decent temper I'm sure it will work through that limited range of motion just fine. What is that, maybe 1/2 of travel?

Sorry for asking I guess but why not put a MC at the pedal and lose all the linkage?

There are some rather discrete front mounted MC's available, some of the dirt bike MC's come to mind.

Because that would put the Master out in the open, how ugly will that be. Better to have crappy brakes that look good than brakes that actually work.
Leo

That's awesome i have been wanting to get mags with disc's front and back but wasn't sure how to switch from drum to disc in the rear and i think thats a darn good way to do it.i have to weld the brake mounts and everything on the hard tail anyway would love to see more pics of yer frame.

Forgot to update... I put a rod over that threaded rod when I finished the bike. Brake works like a million bucks, without one problem.

Back