those piggy back shocks ,,,,,,any good or not??????

oldbiker

oldbiker
Reaction score
hi guys i,ve been looking on ebay.com.au and mikes for piggy back shocks ,,,,are they up the the work or are they crap and a waste of time i,m open minded regards oldbiker

Depends on what your use case is. Piggyback shocks are designed to hold more oil and keep it cooler under demanding conditions. They usually have more adjustability over stock as well. Traditionally used for racing/track use, they are finding favor on the street due to their tunability. But, you're gonna pay for that kind of flexibility. So yeah, most work and work well. Just know that on the street, you're not likely to get the full benefit out of what you spend. Research the particular brand and model to get some feedback before you spend your hard earned dough.

oldbiker, disregard the above, as the writer is unfamiliar with the product. The "piggyback"shocks from Mike's have a deservedly bad reputation. They're Chinese gas shocks with only preload adjustment and no adjustment for damping. They're also .15" shorter than stock, which is going the wrong way if you want to improve handling. You simply can't buy a decent pair of gas shocks for that kind of money. You can't get something for nothing, but it's easy to get nothing for something if the price is low enough.

You'd be far better off with a pair of Progressive or Hagon oil damped shocks. Delivery times are slow, but YSS shocks from Thailand are very good value for the money; I just installed one of their monoshocks on my Suzuki GS500E, and it's very nice.

To elaborate just a bit on grizld1's comments, I don't know what is readily available in your part of the world. Bitubo is another brand that is supposed to be good quality at a budget price. Add that to the list of YSS, Hagon, or Progressive. Others have recommended take-offs from a Harley Sportster, but I have not researched that for myself.

Back