threads for starter spring removal

gray am I

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
starting to do some work on my 78 special , and I am looking for a thread I am sure I seen here and now can't find. It is a how to remove the #4 gear and starter clip, I found the threads on how the tighten the clip and test it, to 6lb. I removed the rh cover and the kickstarter shaft started to come with it, wanted to know if there were any do's and don'ts with clutch and gear removal as it's not too clear in my Clymer manual

I'm not sure there is a complete "how-to" thread for this because once you have the cover off, it's pretty obvious what has to be done - the clutch has to come off. As you can see here, it blocks access to the starter gears .....

StarterGearsInstalled.jpg

You've already encountered the 1st little "gotcha" - the kicker shaft wants to pull out with the cover. Just hold it in with your thumb as you work the cover off to keep it from coming out.

You may want to read some clutch threads. There are some specific assembly points regarding them. The spacer washers have a certain order and the pressure plate has to be aligned properly.

ClutchWashers.jpg

AlignmentDot.jpg

PressurePlateAlignment.jpg

thank you, this was the some of the information I was looking for, kicker shaft came out about 10mm before I noticed , wanted advice before proceeding in case I did something that made assembly more difficult later

Yes it's easiest if you push the kick shaft back home, leave it in place when the cover comes off. watch, there is often a KS shim that sticks inside the cover.

Back