Three different kick levers

jetmechmarty

Project collector
Top Contributor
XS650.com Supporter
Reaction score
image.jpg

Do all of these levers function with any stock XS650? I’m curious why the changes. The last is about a 25% weight reduction from the first.

Thinking there's two Specials too, the heavy early one '78/'79 and the newer '80's.
Same bend, different thickness.
I've noticed no difference swapping my '77 out to the lighter Special and then to the heavier Special when I got one. No idea on the early earlies.

Special ones cuddle up to the carburetor. The straight one will not mount that far forward. I guess I answered my own question.
And mine as well, I must have had a Special kick lever on my last Standard and it tucked in real nice 👍

Maybe innarrestin' make gas cylinder stroke machine to spin up engine...use blank cartridge for gas source.. whole lotta work, but do-able... bang! ticaticaticka rumble. rev rev ... just the ticket at 2 AM outside the Dewdrop Inn...

Yes, there were several different styles or types. Kickers up through '80 had a bigger "foot". '81 and later had a smaller foot and were lighter and smaller everywhere else as well. '78 and older ones stuck straight up. In '79, they started angling them in more. My favorite is a '79 or '80 one, big "foot" and angled in. I swapped a '79 one onto my '83 .....

79-83KickerCompared.jpg

79-83KickerCompared2.jpg

79Kicker12.jpg

79Kicker13.jpg

An XS750 starter is a bit more angled and shorter. will bolt on and clear shorter rear sets?
1711852024161.png

An XS1 lever
XS1 kick start lever.jpg

An XS750 starter is a bit more angled and shorter.
It would be nice to see that XS750 kicker mounted on an XS650 and compared to 81 up XS650 kicker as far as tucking in to the carb body. Being “shorter” is a little concerning. It doesn’t seem like it would be easy to kick start a 750 triple.
I do not have a kicker for the Tracker and have to carefully search EBay

Back