Throttle cable length issue. Am I the only one?

ridethroughlife

xs650 rookie
Reaction score
I recently bought a '79 from a guy that put a new tank on it and maybe changed the throttle cable.
The throttle cable is routed in through the trees and down to the left of the frame to the carburetor. No big deal. Where the issue comes in is when I turn the bars far to the right, like when I'm sitting in a driveway about to take off, or turning a tight right-hander, the throttle cable is pulled and it goes wide open.
Does this happen to everyone or am I in dire need of a longer cable?

Been THERE before. Route till it works without binding, factory route be damned. There are several throttle cable lengths depending on the handlebars. Just got a bike. the throttle cable was routed "stock" but the cable was out of the carb holder and wire tied to the frame because the cable was too short for the "buckhorn" handlebars. Rerouted to match what cable I had and it is fine now.

It is more than likely a cable routing issue and the binding is usually avoided by correct routing of the cable. ie. not pulled or kinked when the bars are turned.
Check these out carefully and you'll probably find your problem. Blue

Attachments

• cable%20routing%20right%20side.JPG
    cable%20routing%20right%20side.JPG
    96.3 KB · Views: 698
  • cable%20routing%20left%20side.JPG
    cable%20routing%20left%20side.JPG
    121.9 KB · Views: 452
Also check that there is enough slack in the cable adjuster near the twistgrip.

I've found that if you try to tie the cable to the frame under the tank it can give problems - need to tie very loosely to allow for steering movement.

Back