Throttle cable melting?

Jawknee21

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Ok, so i finally got it running good. and now i got another dumb problem. im still rechecking everything right now but i just wanted to see if anyone has had this problem before. I had the same problem with my clutch cable but what stopped that, isnt stopping the throttle cable from melting. I checked and i have 12.1v running through the throttle housing and into the throttle cable. That isnt right is it? The cable is acting as the ground? whats happening?

me neither. its probably just me being retarded. should the housing be grounded or ungrounded? i would assume grounded since its made of metal but i thought i fixed that problem the first time with the clutch cable by not grounding it. its just the throttle and switch housing with the key on...

Yes the housing needs to be grounded the bars are NOT grounded because of the rubber mounting bushings, a ground from the bars or housing to the frame is needed. It should n't be carrying current anyways, usually no ground just means the starter button doesn't work. There is a balrog in the woodpile.

Yes the housing needs to be grounded the bars are NOT grounded because of the rubber mounting bushings, a ground from the bars or housing to the frame is needed. It should n't be carrying current anyways, usually no ground just means the starter button doesn't work. There is a balrog in the woodpile.

Gary, wouldn't that ground normally be provided by the control switches, because they have direct contact with the bars and have to go to ground to function? I'm probably not helping here.

Yup... something's a-wack! :(

haha. this is confusing. im going to ground the bars seperately, but the start and kill switch works fine. i dont wanna burn up while im riding. i would like to find this problem before i just recreate it when i rewire my bike. wire is already ordered...

I've never heard of 12v running through the cables and them melting. You may have a short in one of your switch assemblies that is feeding the 12v through the housings into the cables.

its a brand new switch. jeez. this isnt fun. if its dumb then its probably happened to or been caused by me...

It's possible you have the handbar ground lead plugged into a hot lead inside the headlight. Get a volt meter or 12 volt bulb and put one lead on the bars one in the headlight shell I bet it will show 12 volts. Switches usuallyy just connect two leads the switch housing will not normally have current (except the starter button).

The brown and the black wires from the switch are connected to the brown wire from the key switch. No volts in anything but the inside of the switch housing...

Posted via Mobile

Ha! so i made a ground from the housing to the frame and it burned up the black wire in the switch. i need to go to electrical class...

The brown and the black wires from the switch are connected to the brown wire from the key switch. No volts in anything but the inside of the switch housing...

Posted via Mobile

The brown and black wires from which switch? Black is ground, that may be your "hot" ground right there.
By the way why are you burning things up? The Brown wire should be fused under the seat so the fuse blows instead of wires melting.

Thanks. Im gonna go through all of that tonight for homework. And my bikes wiring is hacked. I have 1 fuse for the whole bike. I just ordered like 10 different colors of wire and 10 fuses. Im gonna do it right. I'm still not sure how the start is supposed to be grounded. I tried grounding the black wire separately and it wont work. I'm going to look at that stuff tonight and try to figure it out. I'll be back with some more educated questions...

Posted via Mobile

Onyour starter, power is fed to thr starter relay from the safety relay on a red/white wire. The blue/white wire on the starter relay goes up to the start button. When you push the sart button the power is sent into the handle bars. Through the bars to the left side switch housing. From the housing into a black wire that leads into the headlight bucket where it plugs in with the rest of the black wires. Then it travels back to the frame, then to the battery.
In the headlight bucket if you plugged the brown wire into a black wire you probly sent power back into the ground for the handle bars.
Leo

Back