Throttle sans switch-pod?

VENMUS

Fabricator Extraordinaire
Reaction score
I am hoping to discover a simple solution to run the throttle sleeve, complete with cable and whatnot, without having to put that switch-pod on there. I was looking at mine the other day and it appears like you cant have one with out the other, hopefully that's not the case! :yikes:

And if it is I won't be happy until I find an alternative solution to keep my bars clean. Do they make a self-contained throttle assembly where the throttle tube and cable are all inside a form-fitting little cover at the inside end? I don't want or need the switches up on the handlebars, so I'm open to all solutions. XS650 or aftermarket.

Thanks,
Logan

- you mean like this?

GP100.jpg

Ahhh, my eyes! So much chrome, cant......breathe...... Lol

Yes inxs, that would appear to be very close to my mental-picture, but without the Performance Machine master cylinder, brake lever, and mirror. And with that much bling bling, I'm sure they don't come cheap for the throttle?

- look around and see whats available...these are mostly advertised as harley accessories ie 1 inch bars and a shitload of bling...normally require removing around 4 inches or so of the handelbar

Bigjimmy - got a pic of the housing you speak of, without switches in it? And I refuse to pay 325 for an internal throttle mechanism. No way. But if there is a simpler way to run the throttle cable and twist portion then I'm open to ideas.

What Honda 50cc had these?

Posted via Mobile

- http://www.hondaminitrail.com/z50.html ... about 35 dollars or so...they only open about 3/4 throttle...when used in bigger bikes need regular lubrication or theyll stick

attachment.jpg

45K.jpg

- edit...also with internal throttle
- Yamaha '64 YG1 80cc
- 1970 CB100
- CL 110

Last edited:
35 bucks I could handle. And that Honda one looks okay, I don't quite understand how it works but I will figure it out later when I'm not accessing the web from my iPhone. Here is what a google image search slat out when I put motorcycle throttle. And honestly it's pretty much perfect. Not internal, but not gaudy. Just the essential throttle tube going into a form-fitting cable housing. Just what I need, and it doesn't look like crap either.

For the record, I have clip-on handlebars in 7/8" for 35mm forks, just to be clear. Check out the photos here:

http://www.peterverdonedesigns.com/throttle.htm

Posted via Mobile

Jimmy - we posted at the same time! That's the thought here, a self-contained unit that serves one purpose only; throttle cable. Perfect. And at 20 bucks you can't go wrong! I don't have an eBay account, who wants to be the middle man and buy that sucker for me? Lol...

Posted via Mobile

- internal or external, the options are there :D

That isn't the description of the honda 50 internal throttle install though is it?

- no but the process will be similar

You got it bigjimmy, I wasn't really hunting for an internal throttle of any kind, Honda 50 or otherwise. I also will not use 1" bars just for the cable purposes. I have the clip-on bars and like them. They're just what I wanted and they're going on the bike. I just want a way to put on a twist-grip with a cable attached to it without an ugly chunk of faded plastic with useless (to me) switches sticking out all over it.

Oh and thank you guys for the help! Inxs, the links are awesome I'll be reading them carefully later on my laptop. And that one from quickieparts looks decent for being cheap as it is. $13 bucks it's damn near a no-brained lol

Posted via Mobile

Probably not lol. I was interested in that at one time, but I just think it'd be too confusing reteaching myself how to use the clutch. Even though I do like how that would clean up the bars..

Back