Timing for Dumbies

PHeller

Erie, PA
Reaction score
Ok, so I've got my timing light, I did the static timing on the F-Mark.

For checking the advance, I point the timing light at the stator, and watch the mark move to the left, towards the 40 degree Advance mark?

Lets say that it doesn't get to full advance? Do I rotate the points backing plate while the motor is running? If so, which direction?

If it advances past the advance mark, do I dial it in with the backing plate?

No-one seems to address how to adjust timing, just how to check it.

Posted via Mobile

pheller,

Well, opinions vary as to how to adjust the full advance. Within reason, you Can move the plate clockwise to advance the timing or counterclockwise to retard it, but after adjusting for full advance you should check the advance at idle and it should still be in the "F" zone.

It has been suggested that you can peen the tiny ears on the weights to restore their function, but I am of the opinion that if the weights need peening, its time to replace the entire advance mechanism because other parts of it may be at the end of their life as well, like the pins that hold the weights and the weights themselves as well as the springs. I find it odd that people will spend hundreds of dollars on the engine but they are reluctant to replace the ATU.

If you are using a PAMCO, you will find that a new ATU will outlive the engine because there is no drag from the points rubbing blocks stressing the advance mechanism.

I find it odd that people will spend hundreds of dollars on the engine but they are reluctant to replace the ATU.

If you are using a PAMCO, you will find that a new ATU will outlive the engine because there is no drag from the points rubbing blocks stressing the advance mechanism.

This is good to know. I installed PAMCO and coincidentally replaced my entire ATU, mainly to rule out (likely) worn parts, and immediately solved my bike's reluctance to return smoothly to idle after opening the throttle. An ATU is... what... maybe $60.00; it's an inexpensive way to eliminate several possible timing-related bogeymen so you can move on to other things, and have the security of a properly functioning ATU.

TC

Back