Timing instructions?

leggers

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Can someone please point me to a link or instruct me on how to time this beast. I've been scouring the forum for "how to" timing instructions and I'm just not grasping it.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,
Lucas

Yes. What kind of ignition do you have?

stock breaker points. Which I seem to not be grasping how to adjust either...

I'm using my clymer manual and I started by adjusting the cam chain (no problems there). Then I proceeded to set the points using a .013mm feeler gauge. I did this to each point.

Then proceeded to set the timing by lining up the timing mark at full retard for the (right first then left)...The manual states to do this as the points are begging to open, but they are clearly fully open as my timing mark lines up at full retard. :banghead: not sure whats going on here. I've tried adjusting the points backing plate and that doesnt seem to be affecting the gap of the points.

I'm assuming setting the timing with your pamco is a lot easier?

Last edited:

Thank you gggGary that was very helpful.

Here's where I'm at with my static timing

I've wired up a 12v light as suggested in the how to. Just to test its functioning correctly I touched the positive on the battery with it grounded on the points cover.

pics027h.jpg

It functions correctly.

As instructed, I've dangled the light down to the stator so I can see the light while advancing the motor ccw and line up my timing marks.

pics030.jpg

The problem is I'm not getting any light when connected to the points, and I know the points have good contact because I've checked both spark plugs for spark and they are getting good spark. The key is on when I am doing this. The only time I actually saw light was when the backing plate screws were loose, but when tightened the light would go off, making me believe it was a false positive. I've tried this with both point wires disconnected and one wire disconnected while the other is plugged into the light.

pics029.jpg

As you can see from the boogered up screws PO was trying to time it himself so I made sure to re gap the point with a feeler gauge. If I can't get light when advancing the motor how can I time it??? :doh:

The way you are doing it the light lead needs to be on the + battery post not the ground post, it will light when the points close (ground).

ok this is messed up. the light is coming on when I can't even see the timing mark, thats how far advanced it is...

Finally got it runnin, I'm gonna borrow my old man's timing light this week. Thanks guys!!

Thought I would post a vid up of the bike running here she is in all her glory. I've dubbed her "Ugly Betty"

Back