Timing light riddle

pbracing14

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Hope everyone's having a good day. Maybe this isn't a riddle, but it certainly seems like one to me.
When I use an inductive strobe timing light on my XS, it flashes when connected to the right hand HT lead, but not on the left hand one - at any revs. Why?

It has a single dual output coil, which is new, as are the plugs, leads and caps. It also had this effect with the old parts. Bizarre!

The bike runs great and doesn't misfire, so the answer isn't important. Just thought I'd share this headscratcher :) (No it's not a late April fools either).

Cheers, Pete

Hope everyone's having a good day. Maybe this isn't a riddle, but it certainly seems like one to me.
When I use an inductive strobe timing light on my XS, it flashes when connected to the right hand HT lead, but not on the left hand one - at any revs. Why?

It has a single dual output coil, which is new, as are the plugs, leads and caps. It also had this effect with the old parts. Bizarre!

The bike runs great and doesn't misfire, so the answer isn't important. Just thought I'd share this headscratcher :) (No it's not a late April fools either).

Cheers, Pete

With a single dual output coil, one spark plug fires with a negative polarity, and the other plug fires with a positive polarity. Timing lights like to fire with only the one polarity.
Its not bizarre, its completely normal.

You Sir, are a genius. :thumbsup:
I live and learn - and wouldn't want it any other way :)
Thanks, Pete

Sometimes clipping the lead on the wire "upside down" will make it work.

Sorry Gary only just seen your post as I was at the diy shop getting a square bubble for my spirit level and a long weight :wink2:

I wonder if it's common knowledge...strobe lights and dual output coils? mmm

The left side of my xs1b with pamco strobes crazy, but rock solid on the right.runs fine

With a Pamco both sides have identical timing! they CAN'T be different unless you have a twisted crank! And that wouldn't show on the light anyways. If the odd side makes a bright blue spark you're done.

"at the diy shop getting a square bubble for my spirit level and a long weight " this went over my head....

"at the diy shop getting a square bubble for my spirit level and a long weight " this went over my head....

It's a joke (poor, I know). I daren't ask, but were you serious about putting the strobe connector upside down?

Glad i didn't fall for it :wink2:
Tough one sometimes....judging humour from accross the pond. Always worth it though :)

We have millions of examples like above to send new apprentices for, like tartan paint. all part of the training. Everyone knows if you're in engineering a sense of humour is essential, else you'd go mad sooner or later. Cheers :bike:

And a radiator cap for you vw beetle. I have a bucket of steam for sale if your interested, comes with free left hand box wrench

It's a joke (poor, I know). I daren't ask, but were you serious about putting the strobe connector upside down?

It's a pretty common joke in the UK and Australia on work-sites. If you have an inexperienced labourer or apprentice you tell them to go to the truck and get you a "new bubble for your spirit level" or a "long weight". Then they go down and after 15 minutes of looking for a "long weight" they should probably realise that they have already found the "long wait".

As an apprentice butcher I got sent out for the long weight I went straight to the pub for a few hours, when I eventually went back I was pretty drunk but got away with it as I was thirsty while waiting for the long weight, also got sent out for straight S hooks.

Back