Timing light

apox

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Ok so I borrowed a timing light from a buddy, he had no idea how to use it, neither do I. When I look up how to time the xs650 it says to change settings on it and other things.. The light I have looks like a laser pistol from star wars, it has no settings, when I hook it up and press the trigger it just buzzes.. I havnt actually tried it on the bike yet but I don't think this is the right type of light. It's got a lense on the front and doesn't seem to give off any light, but like I said I don't know how to use it. Maybe it's not supposed to. Any ideas?

Rob

The lead needs to be clipped to one of the spark plug wires for it to operate. It will flash when the spark plug fires. Take the stator cover off, and point it at the marks while it's running. That's about the shortest version there could be. Based on the fact that you don't know how to use a timing light, the best advice I can think of is to get a Yamaha 650 manual.

Good luck,

DLD1

Thanks, I've read the manual, I've just never seen it done.. So when I read online in addition to the manual, people were talking about settings and stuff on the gun. When I looked at mine it looked like a star wars prop lol. So I'll try it and hopefully it works out! Thanks.

Some timing lights are more sophisticated than others. Yours is probably a very simple type, which will work just fine. Just hook it up, start the bike point it at the marks and pull the trigger (or push the button, whatever). Go by the manual as far as the proper timing and marks are concerned and you should good.

DLD1

On the simple timing lights you just hook it up and shoot the timing marks.
On the fancier lights you can set the light so it flashes at differing advances. I never used one myself so I don't really understand there use. I think it's so you can set the light to match the full advance then use the idle marks to check the full advance.

What XS Leo said if you have a points bike you have a separate set of marks for the advanced timing so you don't need the adjustment dial on the light. If you have a TCI bike the timing is not adjustable and you don't need a timing light.

It's the most accurate way to check your timing under running conditions. With the engine at idle, it should be right on the mark, maybe slightly retarded. When you rev the engine up to 3500, it should line up with the maximum advance mark. It's simple to use and very accurate, and you can do it with individual cylinders on dual coil points bikes.

DLD1

if it doesn't seem to operate properly flip the flat pickup so the other side is toward the plug on a cheaper light it can make a difference, depends on whether spark plug wire pulse is + or -

Back