Timing plate adjustment bolt size?

avenue

push.
Reaction score
What size are the two timing plate (pamco plate) bolts?

I'm trying to get some momentum going on my build, again, and keep getting derailed by missing bolts and bits.

thanks,
avenue.

All I can tell you for sure is that they are an M6. Yamaha gives 2 different lengths though, 14 and 16mm. You may have to measure the hole depth or fit one slowly by hand with the Pamco plate removed and make sure it doesn't bottom out before it goes in far enough.

Yes, just a plain flat washer to help spread the load and clamping force onto the timing plate. Here you can see the originals. They were a sort of Phillips/flat blade hybrid. Many switch to Allen screws .....

PamcoSetting.jpg

got it. the 'merican machine shop/auto parts store down the street looked down their noses at me when I asked for a metric M6x14 (yes, I said metric) allen head bolt. "m, 14 what, boy? I'm not following. Now, what are you looking for?" he asked.

funny, he had an entire 4ft tall rolling case of metric bolts and nuts, clearly labeled M6, M8, and so on. He made sure to let me know that for half the price he would have been happy to sell me a couple of american bolts. And, these are the same guys who used to walk out into the parking lot to take a look at my '71 chevy pickup while looking for odd and ends for my motorcycle build.

Now that I ride my bicycle to pickup small metric bolts, they're not very interested in friendly shop conversation about my moto project. The jig is up, they know it's not a harley!

A button type allen head might work better in this application but it sounds like you're not getting any help with selection.

I find the originals work just fine if you have the proper screwdriver .....

THandles.jpg

Step into it. Get directly to it, saying something along the lines of, "I'm, interested in more but right now I need...w/out me ya are gonna stand around picking each others noses & wish I were here."

Harley-Davidson people are usually of the same breed--many of them have one, have had one or more than one--but--they got there through metric means & usually won't discriminate against someone doing something similar (face the facts, you're likely to own a H-D in the future). The only ones that really, blatantly, discriminate are those that don't have one or, have never had any...&...feel they need to support a corporation which has yet to support them. But--hey--whatever. Dorks are everywhere!

Remind them who ya are, get what ya need, then get out of there; that disease is contagious.

But, often times, more than not, I've been somewhere and asked about something miscellaneous, usually they don't know about it and don't want to take responsibility about it, so, what happens is, ya need to get the piece ya need then IF it doesn't work--don't take it back. This usually puts them at ease a little with helping ya out (oddly...it could--not always--mean their job because they say yeah it'll work whenever it don't. That's why they are always hassling about make/ model; if a distributor or manufacturer makes a mistake it doesn't hang on them nor hang them).

Anyway, wishing ya well!

Back