Timing question

Wow, that was one serious failure, lol. From your 2nd pic, I think you had it assembled incorrectly. See that raised ring around the I.D. of the notched ring in your 1st pic? That should face out. From your 2nd pic, it looks like you had it facing in. It won't stay tight as well that way.

As far as I know, the cams are the same.

I was wondering if i got a E Andvancer it would save me having to pull the engine and change the cam but not sure how they fit does the E advancer connet to the cam threads or the centre timimng rod . Mybe Pamco Pete can let me know ...
All the best Funky

The e-advance has an adapter that slips on the cam end in place of the advance unit so you don't need the threads. But, you do need a good pin hole in the cam still because the adapter locks on that pin. The adapter also slips on the pin in the advance rod. It ties the rod and cam together, they don't move independently anymore to create the advance. The Pamco electronic advance box handles that now.

You can install a PAMCO E-Advancer and still use the standard PAMCO ignition that you have. The E-Advancer does not use the threads on the cam but instead comes with an aluminum cap that covers the threads and engages the locating pin on the cam shaft .
www.yamahaxs650.com

New%20Cap2.JPG

Last edited:
Thanks 5T and pamcoe pete the pin hole and pin are still there just have to fit the pin in the hole so what do i need to buy the E Advancer and what other parts do i need to change the ally disc which triggers the pamco from a 90 degree to a 60 degree

Thanks 5T and pamcoe pete the pin hole and pin are still there just have to fit the pin in the hole so what do i need to buy the E Advancer and what other parts do i need to change the ally disc which triggers the pamco from a 90 degree to a 60 degree
I have not shipped the 90 degree rotor for several years, so more than likely you already have the 60 degree rotor. Here is a pic of the two rotors for comparison:
6090.JPG

If you have the 60 degree rotor, there is nothing else to buy. The E-Advancer is $79.95 complete with the advancer adapter.It works with the standard PAMCO that you already have.

Thanks for the reply i am not sure what i have here maybe you can advise me heres some pics. I bought the pamco about 3 years ago i think,,,,,
I cant identify if i have a 60 or 90 degree pickup my engine is a 3L1 1981 special 20180811_192231.jpg 20180811_210332.jpg 20180811_210349.jpg
Many thanks
Funky

Last edited:
You can't see the magnets because you've still got the fender washer in place covering them. Take that nut off the front of the Pamco rotor, and the fender washer, then you'll see the magnets.

Yes, so all you need is the E-Advancer kit. I would get one too if the original advance unit needed replacing.

Ordered one E advancer:D Dam thats saved me alot of work time and money :rock: I was going to pull the Engine fit a new cam shaft and ATU:doh::yikes: Thanks Pamco Pete if you could arrange a military jet to drop it over my garden in the next few hours it would be great:):bike: and a further thanks to 5Twins
All the best Funky

Yes, so all you need is the E-Advancer kit. I would get one too if the original advance unit needed replacing.
Well i did the Ton:D 5T.. but it did not come free:rolleyes: i red lined it in first and second then when i changed up to third :yikes:the rev counter went right round and touched the stop :doh:and i could hear what sounded like a coffee grinder:wtf: i thought I blew the engine or broke a ring or clutch disc.:(:(:(
i was doing about 90 to 100 mph when this happened:rock:. But the Engine did not die it ran a little fast and i drove home in first gear for about a mile:thumbsup: the grinding stopped after about 50 yards:cheers:
hopefully there are no further issues once the new clutch is fitted was thinking a ECB heavey duty and ECB heavey duty springs what do you chaps recommend
All the best Funky

Hi all been getting a few things ready for when my parts arrive did some detailing on my oil cooler to match the scheme on my bike IMG-20180813-WA0013.jpeg IMG-20180813-WA0015.jpeg IMG-20180813-WA0017.jpeg IMG-20180813-WA0019.jpeg Just waiting for my E advancer clutch plates and clutch springs. also painted some old side covers i got for a few pounds off ebay IMG-20180813-WA0000.jpeg
all the best Funky

Thanks Pete awesome I read the the fitting instruction ..... if i am correct in what i am thinking...
1 I disconnect the pamco E ignition from my loom ....
2 connect the Red ,green and black wires to the loom from left side of the E advancer....
3 connect the red , green and black wires right side of E advancer to the pamco ....
4 Tuck the E advance unit behind the side cover near the air filters with cable tye
Job done
like this .jpg
I have edited this about 10 times electrics are not my thing but i think i have got it i have the single coil with two outputs for the HT leads
All the best Funky
And thanks again Pete

Last edited:
funky,
Thanks for the thanks, but don't forget 5twins!
Your list of things to do to is correct. Your existing PAMCO was probably timed correctly before the advance failure, so she should start right up so you can then adjust the timing, if necessary. Just be sure that your idle speed is at or below 1200 RPM as the E-Advancer is more sensitive than the mechanical advancer.

Back