Tips for buying starter

The Doctor

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Hey all

So today was a momentous day. I _finally_ got my xs running properly and rode it to work. Picking it up yesterday and this AM it started second kick. This is _amazing_ but I fear that there will be days when a mechanical leg is handy and my local garage have the chops to fit a starter - the original one has been removed.

Any tips for where I can find one that'll be in good working order? I live in the UK but would be happy to pay shipping. Is ebay my best bet?
:bike:

Congratulations! My first ride on mine was a hoot too.

You might be able to find a starter if you posted in the classifieds here. It's pretty active. Otherwise ebay. I believe the starter has an oil seal or two. If you can get those parts through a Yamaha dealer, you can replace them just in case. Same with brushes. You'll need the starter relay, and if you choose, the safety/lighting relay and clutch relay as well if you don't have them. All of these parts will be inexpensive because people pitch them when they customize.

You'll also have to get the gears and springs that go with it, and hopefully other gears you will need are still in your motor.

Since you're planning to let a garage do the work, it might be best to let them get the parts?

Last edited:
Yes you need to define removed. Depending on how "removed" Ole sparky was it could be an hour task or much more involved. Classies here is a good starting place. Everything should fit in a medium flat rate Priority box. So fairly fast shipping would be $45.00 USD A large flat rate box is $58.00

Back