Tire install; yellow dot question

nickmo

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a question about the dot that lines up with the valve stem. As far as I have read, it's usually yellow, and it gets mounted to line up with the valve stem. On the tires I ordered the only printed mark I see is a circular QC stamp, it is yellow though. Is this the yellow dot/does it double as the valve stem alignment mark?

I don't think so some tires don't have a dot but try it and see if it balances out decent if it doesn't break the beads and rotate it

Use Dyna Beads and it won't matter. www.innovativebalancing.com

I use the dynabeads in my Jeep tires ... worth every penny ... as far as the dot goes. Some manufactures "balance" their tires the dot is the heavy point and they say to line it up with the valve stem (supposedly the light spot on the rim) ... some manufactures don't bother with this because most tires are going to be balanced by the installer after they are installed anyway :thumbsup:

I am using Dynabeads with tubeless tires and they work---tim

XSLeo, which Dyna Bead kit did you use? 1oz or 2oz or bigger?

I'm running tubes, will the applicator kit and replacement valve core work in a tube?

as far as the dot goes. Some manufactures "balance" their tires the dot is the heavy point and they say to line it up with the valve stem (supposedly the light spot on the rim) ... some manufactures don't bother with this because most tires are going to be balanced by the installer after they are installed anyway :thumbsup:

Nearly right, the dot on the tyre indicates the lightest part of the tyre. the valve is (should be) the heaviest spot on the wheel (as its the only spot with a valve. So in a perfect world, aligning the dot and valve requires the least amount of weight needed to balance.

Posted via Mobile

1oz in the front, 2 oz in the rear. I have tubes in my tires. Yes the applicator works with tubes or tubeless. I use the valve cores that came with the tubes, no problems. In my van the plain cores didn't work as well. Needed the filtered cores.
If you look on the site Click tire charts on the left, then motorcycles. This leads you to a chart that tells the amount you need for the size tire. Front 80-120 mm use 1 oz, bigger gets 2. Rear 130-240 is 2 oz. They don't list rears smaller than 130 but I think that the 1 oz should be fine if you use smaller tires. Like most of the 18 inch.
If you click Products and prices scroll down to Motorcycles and scooters, Item DBS-BP2 is the ones I ordered. If I had the 18 inch rear tire I would use DBS-BP1.
The only thing is the hose they send works to install the beads but a longer hose works better. I went to the hardware store and bought two feet of some cheap clear hose the same size. As you pour them in, if you go two fast they plug up where they go into the valve stem. Then you have to rotate the wheel so they run back into the bottle, then rotate back so they pour in. With the short hose this is hard to do. With the lonmger hose you can see better and control the speed better so you get less clogging, and rotoating is back and forth is easier.
The price is good compared to regular balancing and they can't fall off and mess things up. When you replace the tire you can take them out of the old and put in the new. So you never need to pay for balancing again.
Leo

Back