Tire size interchangeability ?

lowliferat

certified hack
Reaction score
Quick question, I got a spoke 16 inch rim with a 130/90v16 tire on it and I was wondering if I could put a 3.00-16 duel sport tire on this rim without problems? I picked up a set of golden boy trail tires and the front is good but he rear is definitely not as wide, will it squat and flatten out thereby change my rolling ratio? I build toyotas 4x4s , and i know rolling diameter of tire size changes final drive ratios in trucks so I guess it would be similar here? I want he dual sport tires for running down the railroad tracks to my cat fishing spot and the street tires slide in the gravel too much. Again any help is apprciated in my endeavor.

Not sure but I'm gonna run a 5.00/16 on my spoke drum rim rear. Smaller the tire less top, taller more top.

There are recommended rim widths for tyre sizes, and vice versa. Hagons in the UK have a handy recommendation table for tyre sizes versus rim width.
Go to: www.hagon-shocks.co.uk
Then hit the link for their wheelbuilding services, and download the PDF, which contains the required info.
Recommended rim for 3.00 tyre is WM2 (1.85") whereas for 130/90 it is 3.00.
According to Hagons, the narrowest recommended tyre for a 3.00 rim is 4 inch.
So I believe 3.00 tyre on a wide rim is a no-go, as tyres are vital for your safety!

Thanks artic xs , I tried it and it didn't look safe at all. So I will look for another type of tire to run back there. I guess I will search up duel sport tires in the 16 inch range but there is few candidates.

Back