Tire sizing question.

On my 1976, just recently purchased, Shinko's, 100/90 H19 on the front. 120/90 H18, on the back, all seems really good. Tire model 712

Last month; a 1 month old rear HD Shinko on the RSV Was loaded and traveling cross country, did a curvey mountain pass making good speed than had a no services for 65 miles freeway run at 80 MPH plus, the bike started to exhibit a slight weave and it got worse over an hour. When I pulled in for gas I realized I had been running on a flat from a nail puncture! Nail was gone, I carry a plug kit and the station across the road had air, plugged, filled and back on the road in 20 minutes (gradually returned to 80 MPH and finished the 1000 miles home and the tire is still going strong. Expect to get full life out of it, though that run while flat probably cost me some tread life! As a mail man I put in a lot of tire plugs so tend to trust them.

Last edited:
The tire sizes on these are very common. You should be able to find them in any brand you like. You appear to have the factory mags. The rear will be a 16", not an 18". I would stay with the stock width, a 130.

The tire sizes on these are very common. You should be able to find them in any brand you like. You appear to have the factory mags. The rear will be a 16", not an 18". I would stay with the stock width, a 130.
yes i will do the stock forks and swing arm cant take bigger

thanks i'll look into them.
Shinkos are hard to find in the UK, but Maxxis are widely available. I've been using them for years with no complaints.
Maxxis are produced by Chen Shin, but not the CS of old, which were real arse-clenching Deathmasters. Fwir, modern CS tyres are essentially Yokohama, which CS bought the tyre tech / factories from a while ago.

after speaking to my guy at "H" at B&H motorcycles here in the uk , he said dump them we have a lot of damp wet weather in cornwall .you'll be off before you know it . the roads are hilly heavily cambered and twisty not many places are flat here we have our fair share of rain . i dont generally go out to get wet but the roads remain wet for a time after rain, so ive gone for avons road riders. had avons on a few of my harleys no problems.

Back