Tires for wire spoke wheels - any suggestions ?

David M

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
I need to get some new tires for my street tracker project. The bike is a 1975 and has wire spoke wheels which I want to keep. 18" on rear and 19" on front. I would like to go with a wider front than stock to get close to the tracker look so I may have a new rim fitted. The bike will just be ridden around town.

I haven't bought tires for wire spoke wheels since 1975 so I'm way out of touch on the topic ( back then I think most bikes had wire spokes and they all just ran tubes.) I'm guessing that I have to run tubes so the air doesn't get past the spoke holes and I understand that tubeless tires shouldn't be run with tubes.

So, can anyone offer some guidance on buying the right tires for wire spoke wheels ?

I bought tubeless tires for mine (19 front 16 rear) matched set Kenda ... haven't had a problem (I am also spoked running tubes)

Run tubes in the tubeless tires. Try not to run your XS at speeds over 120MPH for extended periods. Really, the tubeless tire often says fit tubes for tube type applications.

I personaly prefere Dunlop 404's. Good tire for wear and handleing. Not so expensive either. Allway's install new tube's and rim strap's with new tire's.

Most tire manufacturers don't know if the tire will be mounted on a spoke or mag wheel. Not knowing this they make them to run with or without a tube. On some xs650 mags you need a tube. If they don't expressly say on the mag "for tubless tire" run a tube.
Some say run a tube anyway.

I personaly prefere Dunlop 404's. Good tire for wear and handleing. Not so expensive either. Allway's install new tube's and rim strap's with new tire's.

Good to hear that. I went through the SW Moto web site and found the 404's were about the only thing I could finds in the sizes that I wanted. It looks like I'll just go ahead and order the tubes at the same time.

Thanks everyone.

Back