To build a Sport Touring XS650

My 83 Heritage with Mike's sport seat and Superbike bars is more comfortable than my 1200 Bandit. The Bandit has me riding sidesaddle in 1.5hrs. I did 3hrs on the XS and felt perfectly fine. Less likely to get tickets too.

My 83 Heritage with Mike's sport seat and Superbike bars is more comfortable than my 1200 Bandit. The Bandit has me riding sidesaddle in 1.5hrs. I did 3hrs on the XS and felt perfectly fine. Less likely to get tickets too.

I changed to Streettracker bars and still run the stock '83 seat and find that most who follow me on rides complain that I ride too long between breaks. I'm also more comfortable since I gave up on highway pegs. Motorcycle seats aren't couches and if you want to be comfortable sitting up straight in the saddle leaning slightly forward with your feet under you is usually best as it provides better weight distribution and keeping your spine straight makes the bumps easier to handle.

But I spent a lot of years trying to get comfortable in all the wrong ways.

I am with you Bill on riding position. My bike is set up very similar but with European Style Bars. Unless a person has physical problems that does not allow for long sittings, anyone may tour with this set up. A small detachable fairing to keep the bugs off you is prefferable.

I am with you Bill on riding position. My bike is set up very similar but with European Style Bars. Unless a person has physical problems that does not allow for long sittings, anyone may tour with this set up. A small detachable fairing to keep the bugs off you is prefferable.

I took my fairing off a few days ago to repair my tach and have yet to get it put back on-- anybody got any bug floss?

I changed to Streettracker bars and still run the stock '83 seat and find that most who follow me on rides complain that I ride too long between breaks.
I hear that all the time and it annoys the fuck out of me.... I refuse to believe that people buy a touring bike only to require a stop BEFORE the Reserve gets opened.

But I spent a lot of years trying to get comfortable in all the wrong ways.
:laugh:

I've been building a bumper/trailer hitch for mine and plan to switch the saddlebags for big ammo cans.

motorcycle%2Bbumper%2B001.jpg

motorcycle%2Bbumper%2B003.jpg

i bought this last year and love it.

2010 Kawasaki Versys. Always gets awesome reviews!! I am putting some more dirt oriented tires on it (sold the KLR). Good ground clearance, Great power at about 65HP for a parallel twin, comfy as hell, runs my heated gear and i bought the matching GIVI hard bags for it.

did 2 weeks and 7500 kms to Vancouver Island and back in summer. No way would i have done it on my XS. It does it all!!!

SOOOO close to buying a Triumph Tiger 800, but the dealer network here is sparse...That and the Versys is so much bang for the $$$$$$

P7250017.jpg

P7140005.jpg

v2.jpg

How come nobody ever takes pictures of the headlight on a Versys? :laugh:

Vintage Sport Touring is the way I plan to go with my '75, but mostly for a "Look". I bought this bike with the intentions of just having a commuter work/around town etc. I chose the XS for obvious reasons: Parts availability and something I can completely work on myself. If I do any distance, it probably won't be any more than 4hrs.

Although it runs/rides great, I'm still a ways away from buying up "Touring" type parts but for now I'm thinking Quarter Fairing, Nap. style bar end mirrors, small/med hard side bags primarily for tools/parts and a large trunk to store the helmet and general hauling.

As may be obvious (lol) I'm not after anyone's approval or looking cool, just a functional means of Classic Transpo!

Yup if you are cycle camping no matter what you start with, it looks like a pack mule when you leave the driveway.

This may not be the best thread to ask but I just cannot find the answer I am after.
I have been reading in the forum about this 5th gear overdrive. Just how much difference does it make? Somebody said 15%, but does that mean when I am currently running at 4000 RPM the same speed could be obtained with this overdrive at 3400 RPM? That is a BIG drop in RPM's. Is there any specs on this overdrive? It looks like a major job to install it. Is there a utube or something that describes the process?
I know I can change sprockets and get some more top end but that is at the expense of the bottom end. I wonder how much sprocket size adjustment would be equivalant to the same benefit as the overdrive.:shrug::shrug:

This may not be the best thread to ask but I just cannot find the answer I am after.
I have been reading in the forum about this 5th gear overdrive. Just how much difference does it make? Somebody said 15%, but does that mean when I am currently running at 4000 RPM the same speed could be obtained with this overdrive at 3400 RPM? That is a BIG drop in RPM's. Is there any specs on this overdrive? It looks like a major job to install it. Is there a utube or something that describes the process?
I know I can change sprockets and get some more top end but that is at the expense of the bottom end. I wonder how much sprocket size adjustment would be equivalant to the same benefit as the overdrive.:shrug::shrug:

I don't think you looked to hard.
Top of page.........."Tech".............."Engine"................"5 th gear"
Pamcopete has a spread sheet with drop down menus that will tell the tale.

I think my idea is of little potential. I did a basic cost analysis and by the time I got the parts need to make the conversion I could buy a number of used bikes that would suit my need for a lot less. Nice Yamaha FJ600, 1100, 1200 or a Honda VFR700, 750 or BMW K75S sell for around 2-3k

Thanks all for your suggestions.

A clean FJ1200 will be on the high end of that range or more likely a bit over, but is a no-brainer as a choice for affordable sport tourer. It is truely one of the best motorcycles ever made.

KeithB - not really planning on doing any true touring, just want the look and some wind and rain protection for a 100-200 day ride. No doubt this is not the platform for long distance cross country rides.

It is a good choice of styling exercise for this bike I think. Not only does it look good but it actually improves the practical teansportation qualities of the bike. I suggest flat European style bars.

Back