To build a Sport Touring XS650

gentlemanjim

More Wrenchin than Ridin
Reaction score
I've just about wrapped up my XS400R Seca Street Fighter/Cafe bike. I am quite pleased with how it turned out and how quick it is according to my research it does the quarter mile in 14 sec. at about 95 mph - same as the XS650, but certainly a differrent feel of thrust - its a screamer.

Anyway that bike is great for scooting around towm, but if I want to take a long long ride I need some weather protection. I'd like to build a more sport oriented touring version of a XS650. Something like an FJ, Triumph Sprint RS, Seca II, BMW K75S, just an upper half frame mounted faring. I like just like doing something different than the tracker, cafe, chopper style and still make it a practical ride.

What to use and where to get it? tough questions.

I'm looking for ideas on what to use for weather protection a windshiled just doesn't cut it in the styling department. If there are good ideas out there I know it will come from here.

MySlash6.jpg

R90S fairing, just enough to punch a nice hole through the wind. Heinrich lowers, mount to the front down tubes with just one strut and clamp. Easily removed in like 5 minutes for hot weather riding.

Last edited:
I have done a lot of touring and , to be honest, I just don't see the XS 650 as being a touring bike.
But, if you are keen to do it, there are older Vetter style fairings that could be fitted to the 650.
http://cgi.ebay.ca/79-81-YAMAHA-XS1100-XS-1100-S-VETTER-WINDJAMMER-FAIRING-/300460696452?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item45f4da6384#ht_4083wt_906
As well, National Cycle might have something useful. My wife has toured many km's on an 1100 Virago with one of these...
http://www.nationalcycle.com/images/products/webimages/PSYASN8262XV110084-99_600.jpg
As for bags, you will probably have to fabricate a custom mounting system or just go with soft luggage. Do a web search for "Hepco & Becker: complete rack Yamaha XS 650 SE"
It wouldn't be too difficult to fab up a rear tail rack and mount an Emgo case.
http://www.amazon.com/Emgo-Portable-Travel-Trunk-Black/dp/B001NEI4BY

Last edited:
KeithB - not really planning on doing any true touring, just want the look and some wind and rain protection for a 100-200 day ride. No doubt this is not the platform for long distance cross country rides.

Why not use your xs650 for long rides? I have been on a 67 Triumph all over the Western States. I was told this was not a touring machine. When my 78 xs is finnish I do plan long tours. Thanks TC

I have an '81 that I bought new and installed a Vetter Quicksilver fairing (frame mount) in early '82. It's not very large, but gives much more protection than a windshield, with pretty fair storage in the side compartments. For bags, I have a set of original Yamaha Soft Pacs that I also acquired new in '82 that are essentially a set of ballistic nylon throw-overs. You may be able to find a fairing on e-bay or craigslist , but may have trouble finding the bike specific mount. I've also got highway pegs mounted on the mini engine guards. The most recent mod has been the purchase of a spare saddle - found on craigslist - modified the pan to give it a flat bottom where it counts, rebuilt the foam and cut down the profile, then had it professionally re-covered. Now I can spend hours on the saddle without pain. The end result is a pretty comfortable day tripper, especially for an old guy like me! Good luck!
rhkansas

Attachments

• PA090425.jpg
    PA090425.jpg
    324.9 KB · Views: 1,558
RH That looks great.The fairing is a perfect fit for your bike. If we keep up our bikes and improve them and if you do not mind vibration 800 mile days should be no problems. I do not mind vibrations, like I said I owned a Triumph and my second bike is a BSA 1963. Tony C

I think my idea is of little potential. I did a basic cost analysis and by the time I got the parts need to make the conversion I could buy a number of used bikes that would suit my need for a lot less. Nice Yamaha FJ600, 1100, 1200 or a Honda VFR700, 750 or BMW K75S sell for around 2-3k

Thanks all for your suggestions.

KeithB - not really planning on doing any true touring, just want the look and some wind and rain protection for a 100-200 day ride. No doubt this is not the platform for long distance cross country rides.
why isn't the bike good enough to ride long distances? I rode into mexico last summer and am doing it again next summer, and my only real complaint is my small sportster tank capacity. My 18/32 sprocket set is perfect for the highway, and really cuts out the vibes too. You could find all those fugly fairings and bags on craigslist for dirt cheap,and tour in comfort.

Sure if you want it to be a tourer, it will be. Forget cost analysis, you go there and it's a car hands down.

I'll run 70-90 all day long on the bike I pictured and it'll be running smoother at the end of the day than in the morning when I started it up. I would never try that on my 650, lol. Could you travel all over the country on a 650? Sure but you could do it on a Honda 90 too. Try it on a bike that was really designed to do this and I guarantee you won't be doing it on your 650 again, lol.

I have put in many hours a day of riding my bike as a 650. It's now a 750. I have no qualms about riding it 10 or more hours a day. I feel just fine after that long a ride. Been there done that.
I feel about the same after riding my Harley 10 hours. The main difference in the two is the Harley being heavier it doesn't get pushed around by the wind as much as the XS. The extra 200 lbs make a lot of difference.

I'll run 70-90 all day long on the bike I pictured and it'll be running smoother at the end of the day than in the morning when I started it up. I would never try that on my 650, lol. Could you travel all over the country on a 650? Sure but you could do it on a Honda 90 too. Try it on a bike that was really designed to do this and I guarantee you won't be doing it on your 650 again, lol.

No way, its like having a '32 ford roadster but driving a camry instead because it is more comfortable. You could give me a new goldwing for free and I wouldnt ride it.

Well, I suppose you can ride any bike you want all day, day after day and call it a touring bike. Your choice.
But when I traveled Toronto to Alaska and back, this is what I used and this is what I consider a touring bike.
ST1100 Honda V4 engine. nOt enough O's in smooooooth to describe the ride.:)
ST1100.jpg

No way, its like having a '32 ford roadster but driving a camry instead because it is more comfortable. You could give me a new goldwing for free and I wouldnt ride it.
For the record: If anybody gives me a new Goldwing for free, I will ride it every day with a giddy smile on my face.

Here's my sport touring XS650 I nicknamed, Nothin' Special, sans gear with Rifle Superbike Fairing. It's not frame mounted but it's still a great fairing. I'm thinking I might add the 15% overdrive 5th gear to reduce engine speeds on highway and reduce vibration and getting Hugh to do a 277 conversion but even stock I easily cover 300-400 miles per day. Anything over 400 miles per day reminds me of the 28 years I spent as a long haul trucker-- something I'd rather not be reminded of.

Nothing%2BSpecial.jpg

To imply that an XS650 can't be a good touring bike is to forget guys like Craig Vetter, who toured the country on a 250cc, faired, 2 stroke Yamaha, designed the WindJammer (the daddy to Rifle Fairings) designed many great motorcycles for several manufacturers and continues to design and innovate today.

By the way, if you stumble across an old frame mounted Windjammer, he still sells replacement parts for them. Me, I'd love to get my hands on a replica of the Mystery Ship or any other Vetter touring fairing.

The Rifle fairing is a good product. Had on on my '85 V65 Sabre.
Changing the gear ratio to lower vibrations also sounds like a good thing to do.

I get the concept of riding what would be considered "non touring" bikes for long distance and when I was younger, no problem. But at the age of 56, my body just can't take it.
Would you really take a '38 Ford, (stock) on a 15,000 km road trip? Riiiiiiight...:shrug:
Sure, lots of people drove small bikes a long way, in the past. And there was a time that there was no internet but I don't see us having this discussion by postal service or on a BBS :laugh:
If someone gave me a free Wing, I would still drive the ST1100 as it has maintained a lot of "sport" in it's sport touring name.
As it is, the ST1100 is for touring, the '72 CB 750 is for stylin' and the '80 XS 650 Cafe is for fun.:bike:

And I bought an ST1100 and rode it home to Wisconsin from California, hated it, sold it the next spring. I had been more comfortable on a single cam CB750 with a Vetter than I was on that ST1100. Touring set up is very individual ones' poison etc.

I understand your analogy of the '38 Ford but wonder what makes a bike a touring bike?
Comfortable seating?
Low vibration?
Dependability?
Ease of maintenance?
Good ride quality?
Easy to ride?

And why can't an XS650 be made to do all those things? Fact is:
I'm almost 55 and find my XS650 to be very comfortable-- more comfortable, in fact, that the truck I just finished driving from Boston to North Carolina.
Vibration doesn't seem to be a problem-- my mirrors are perfectly clear and my hands don't go numb like on many other bikes I've owned. The right grips make a huge difference.
Dependability doesn't seem to be a problem.
The XS is a very easy bike to work on.
Ride quality is good. Adding forward pegs and changing handlebars goes a long way towards improving ride quality.
The XS650, at about 450 lbs, is much easier to ride than most sport touring bikes.

There seems to be some sort of attitude that touring must be done at breakneck speeds and if one is of that mind set then I'm sure the XS650 is NOT a good option but having driven and/or rode EVERY mile of Interstate highway in the USA., I tend to tour to see the things I can't see at 90 MPH. After all, there's really nothing to see that can be seen from the Interstate. Touring, for me, is about back roads in places where NO type of vehicle can be driven at high speeds.

So I guess for me the argument becomes: Do I want a touring bike or a sport bike? I'll pick touring as sport simply isn't my style.

When I started riding I was 10 and had a 150cc BSA Bantam Since those days I have owned and ridden multiple bikes from 175 cc to 1100cc. I have ridden at least 250 miles on way on each of these. My 250cc NSU Super Max was the most comfortable. I could cruise at 65 or 70 with very little vibration.(less than my r-65 BMW.

I started riding because the feel I receive when on my bike not for comfort. That is a plus.as we used to say in Outlaw drags "You run what you brung." P.S. I will be 61 in March. Enjoy your bikes. Tony C the other TC

Back