To Non-Op or Not in CA

Limpy

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a 1980 Special that is completely disassembled at this point to be rebuilt as a Street Tracker. My registration is due California DMV 2-16-12 and realistically I expect this project will take me 9 months or more. Probably more... So that is my decision and any help is appreciated.

Pros: Reg is $89 per year, Non-Op is $18. Also insurance is put on hold and that is about $100 per year. So Non-Op for 9 months is worth about $105.

Cons: To convert back to operational, is there an inspection? I don't think there are any additional costs but changing so many parts from stock to shiny and new I may step over the line a bit...well maybe a lot! If I run into inspection issues the $105 saved now will be small by comparison.

Any experience in California?

Thanks guys.

I wasnt aware there was any inspections in California. I`m down here in L.A so maybe it is different in other counties of Ca..
It sounds like you would be less stressed if you just non op it. I cant tell you how many times projects run longer then expected due to unforeseen circumstances.

Thanks for posting the hard truths about life in California. I was considering moving back there for the winters, but I have forgotten how over regulated a place it is. Not going to tell you how easy we have it here in Montana where motorcycle licensing and insurance are concerned. (what insurance?)

Back