To paint or not to paint (the engine!)

FWIW, at one time Harley allegedly sold a heat transfer paint. Powroll mentioned that in their info sheet but it's not on their web site.

Harley still sells three kinds of engine paint in aerosol cans; "Black Texture" (98606BF), "Silver Bead Blast" (98606BY), and "Clear Coat" (98606EK). They're a bit pricey at $24 for a 12oz. can, but I've heard only great things about this paint and have seen a few awesome results myself.

I've just put mine back together after top end rebuild and had the head, barrels and engine covers all high pressure water blasted. They came up like new and the old timer who did the job said not to put anything in the way of clear on them - just wash with water occasionally. Not on the road yet so yet to see how it holds up. While we're talking engines, can anyone tell me what this is - see photo of tiny ball bearing like internal revealed when I scraped what I thought was old paint off front of engine. There are four of these across the front just under the cylinders. Thanks, Slug.

Attachments

• IMG_0779.jpg
    IMG_0779.jpg
    159.8 KB · Views: 276
They are to block off passages needed to bore holes during manufacture. If you look on the inside of the case they line up with the oiler squirters for the crank.
The engine cases have quite a few of these blocked off holes if you look at it.

Back