to re-phase or not...

I am a real mechanic (qualified 4 year apprenticeship), who completed his trade working on light to heavy ancillary vehicles including cars,trucks,cranes as well as support equipment for major industry. I have also worked for several years in a professional motorcycle dealership earning my living rebuilding, servicing & tuning motorcycles - where excuses & mistakes are not tolerated, unfortunately by customers like you. Now I'm nearly 40 I dont work as a mechanic, I do this for my own enjoyment and get sick of tools posting that they think they know something, because someone told me so...??
Get your own hands dirty you might learn something, never-mind don't bother the more people who leave bikes alone that have no idea what their doing the better.

I have a rephased motor in my current ride & can say it does make a difference, you obviously have not ridden both a 360 & 277/270 bike, if you had you might have a different opinion.

Park a rephased bike next to a 360 crank bike & give them both a good rev, the 360 cranked bike will do doing the "Yamaha dance" out the door.

Please list your extensive mechanical exploits to date so far..? I'm curious to know what amazing things you have done.:wtf:

I said the consensus is it's a ripoff. Can't I say that? What a bunch of friggin losers in this thread.

Every mechanic I've asked about it either said it was a ripoff or never heard of it. That's a consensus. Real mechanics.

whoa whoa whoa guys. this thread was NOT started as a bash, just a place where people that have rode/owned or comparatively assessed the benefits of a rephase can discuss things.

please stop with the name calling and the immature remarks. those are detracting from the purpose of this thread.

back on track: thanks for the links Hugh and Skull, very informative. methinks it will be best to have the rephase, as i plan on riding the bike as much as possible and i'd like to not have the buzzing hands, especially since i'll have solid riser bushings... i think Hugh might get my crank and mr. riggs will get my cam in trade for one of his performance units. then one day when i'm ready for the 750, i can take advantage of it more.

I said the consensus is it's a ripoff. Can't I say that? What a bunch of friggin losers in this thread.

Every mechanic I've asked about it either said it was a ripoff or never heard of it. That's a consensus. Real mechanics.
The ripoff is not not having a understanding how rephasing changes the power distribution(Not HP gain cuz your not changing the engines volumetric efficiency) firing pulse,reduction in vibes( the vibes could be further reduced if money was spent in rebalancing the rotating assembly to the 50 to 53% but no one does) and the ever changing exhaust pulse. These facts are conclusive,not a ripoff consensus as you say,so why don't you take the time in educating yourself on the subject rather listening to the B.S of your ignorant so called mechanics who have no true knowledge of the inner workings of the XS.

Do you have the wax cleaned out your ears? Listen to this 270 built by my friend Hugh and tell us if you detect an XS exhaust pulse note.

Here's another XS rephased with the exception it's 277 with Cr500 rods and yes long rods like rephasing also has an effect altering the engines power distribution but I guess you and your so called mechanics would call B.S. on that too,wouldn't you

The ripoff is not not having a understanding how rephasing changes the power distribution

You have your own scam going where you port heads and absolutely refuse to provide any empirical data on the results.

It reminds me of Huckleberry Finn, and the duke, and the rightful king of France floating down the Mississippi. Both supporting each other's scam. Now, I didn't mean you don't get something for your money, just that what you get is useless, or worse than what you had to start with.

where excuses & mistakes are not tolerated, unfortunately by customers like you.

Mechanics who know motorcycles rephase your ass. I'm talking about people where you start a story about what happened with your xs650 and they can finish it for you and you're astonished. Can you do that? Hell no. Fuck no.

A question - have you ridden one.?
I'm done with this thread, respond how you like as I won't be replying or reading it - later

do you not convert a 40,s all original pick up to run on ethl shit they sell now.......it is just putting newer tech. in an old bike.....if money is that big of and issue dont do it ........if you want to work on the thing then nickle and dime it.....it is like a briggs and strat. it will run for ever on a stedy diet of 15-40 and mountain dew..............i have delt with hugh and in no way a rip off at all ....his service and craftsmanship is worth every penny..........do what you want thats the greatness of building you own bike....learn as you go ...mine is rephased cause the simple reason it scared me at 90mph to much vibes

whoa whoa whoa guys. this thread was NOT started as a bash, just a place where people that have rode/owned or comparatively assessed the benefits of a rephase can discuss things.

please stop with the name calling and the immature remarks. those are detracting from the purpose of this thread.

back on track: thanks for the links Hugh and Skull, very informative. methinks it will be best to have the rephase, as i plan on riding the bike as much as possible and i'd like to not have the buzzing hands, especially since i'll have solid riser bushings... i think Hugh might get my crank and mr. riggs will get my cam in trade for one of his performance units. then one day when i'm ready for the 750, i can take advantage of it more.

A shame some one has to disrupt and kill a good thread. It is your thread and you can ask, or demand, them to stop. If the perpetrator is called out whenever they disrupt, they may finally get the message and join the party or leave

Call on a moderator to clean up the thread so that real info or ideas can be continued.

The site has little trouble but it takes one to disrupt.

Well I read this thread and agree that a certain person should learn more about the subject they are berating before they berate it. Asking one or two mechanics isn't a concensus. Talking to every mechanic is.
Know back to the OP's statements. He wan't to put on Mike's 650 big fin cylinder, then later do the 750. Looking at Mike's the 750 kit has every thing you need to install it. $699
His 650 cylinders come just the cylinders for $350. Add pistons at $59 ea, rings 32 ea, head gasket, $24.50, base gasket $13.50. Total $570, A difference of $129.
If you go the 650 big fin route then go the 750 route later it will cost you more than $129. I'd charge someone pretty close to $129 just to pull the engine.
In my experience the 750 kit reduces vibes at the higher rpms. Where the 650 starts to get vibby at 3500-4500 rpms the 750 doesn't, the vibes don't increase above what they are at 3500 rpms.
I think unless you abolutely want the 650 big fin the 750 kit is the better way to go.
Leo

You have your own scam going where you port heads and absolutely refuse to provide any empirical data on the results.

It reminds me of Huckleberry Finn, and the duke, and the rightful king of France floating down the Mississippi. Both supporting each other's scam. Now, I didn't mean you don't get something for your money, just that what you get is useless, or worse than what you had to start with.

You want empirical results, stop manicuring your nails behind the keys and do what 100's have physically done,port your heads and only then will you educate yourself. As far as me scamming members,"SCREW YOU" I know what's entailed to achieve good results and have made every attempt to pass it along but for you, you burnt your bridge.

THIS CHILDISH ATTITUDE IS BULLSHIT. I'm calling on a moderator right now to end this crap.

I've asked for information and educational opinions, not a bunch of puffed up guys typing like crazy at each other. Grow up and stay the F**k out of this thread or these forums if you can't contribute any useful data.

Eeeeeaaaasssssssyyyy everyone. Chill out and don't take it too seriously. XJWMX thinks the rephase is shit, then good for him. His opinion. Let him have it. We can see he doesn't have first hand experience with it, but that's ok. Still, he's allowed an opinion.

My opinion is for the rephase. But, just like XJWMX, it's just an opinion :cheers:

. . . besides . . .

. . . today is easter . . .

. . . no need for everyone to get all worked up . . .

2-girls-bunny-humping.gif

Back