To Springer.... or Not to Springer..

There are a lot of variables in play when you choose your springer.
Is it inline or offset
Rocker geometry
And the stance you want when your done.

The best thing to do is get the bike in the stance you want and start measuring.

Yup keep an eye on chopcult for a springer. I swapped my stock 77 front end for a vintage 6" over and love the look.

I have ridden both and still love riding a spinger bike.

I'm just getting ready to do the bearings to fit that 21 this week.
1d7cbd24.jpg

That springer is perfect,have the bars that match sitting in a pile

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi guys! I need to help me in my project I have an old xs650 71 with voodoo hardtail, I modify the neck and now this 35 * and I want to use a springer frontend. Does anyone know which is the most appropriate for this frame? Maybe over 4 "or 6" with a harley 21 wheel?

I went through this too. I actually have HD forks with -2 lowering springs and HD brakes so the suspension and bakes work great. But the springer I though would look cool so I bought a DNA. I had new rockers made and will swap out the wishbone with an aftermarket one. Now I have both and the bike is in the final reassembly stages.
I'm a bit nervous about the performance of a springer over HD forks and even more so the brakes. There is zero chance it works as well. But my bike is build as a "bar hopper", an occasional toy for short rides not a daily driver, so I figure I'd try it just for the looks. I'll ass a 21" wheel which will further degrade ride quality. If it does not work out I can always switch back and sell the springer.

If it was built as a high mileage bike I would forgo the springer. Good luck!

Springers look good but don't ride so well. I'm still confused why these guys mod motors and then put a springer on. 65mph and mine sucks. Never again. It's like having a super model g/f and only getting handjobs.

I wouldn't doubt it. Jd has "the eye" and the skill set to make it happen. Haven't seen him a while. He may have moved on.
I dont run a springer, but fwiw, most dont have a shock absorber, so i would think it would just bounce, leading to high side dismount. Tells you what.... drain the fluid out of your forks, and take a corner over 2x4s, and see if you like the butt-puckering action. But like i said, i dont run one. Looks nice, but no thanks.

Back