To whomever posted about back-bleeding brakes

Downeaster

Everything in XS
Top Contributor
Reaction score
Many, MANY thanks.

I can't find the post now, but a couple of years ago I read about using a hand oiler hooked to the bleed screw on the caliper to force fluid UP the system to the master cylinder.

Just did that on my Zook project. 5 minutes from newly rebuilt caliper and master cylinder and new braided line to functional brakes.

I love it when a plan comes together...

One of those above links was about my using a mighty vac. I also used the lever oiler many times over the years. Both excellent ways to bleed MC sytems. The oiler way may be faster.

I use a Mighty Vac at first. I then tie or bungy cord the brake lever in the applied postion and leave it this way overnight. This lets any remaining bubbles migrate out the open port in the master cylinder.

Just for clarity, the port is closed while the brake is applied. Any air bubbles are compressed into smaller bubbles. With luck the small bubbles migrate upward to the MC, consolidate there and are released into the reservoir when the brake is released.

Yes, you are correct. Keeping the system under the pressure, helps migrate the bubbles up to the high point, the master cylinder. I know that it works quite well.

Back