Today`s Catch

halfmile

XS Builder
Top Contributor
XS650.com Supporter
Reaction score
This is the most embarrassing motorcycle buy of my life but at least I got it home after dark so my friends didn`t have to see it. I`m not a hard tail fan but the motor is all there and the bike is wired up with working lights and electric start. Who would have thought?? Looks like a Rat Bike in the making. Has clear title so look for it in the Classifieds.

todays catch 001.JPG todays catch 002.JPG

You can do a lot with that stretched frame but whats up with that tank bung?

Got it to turn over and fire on starting fluid this morning. Don`t know about the charging system but it`s all wired up and the PO rode it for 2 years. All the electrical is in a ammo can. Haven`t looked but maybe there`s a emergency hand grenade in there too. In case it breaks down you could just blow it up and walk home. I was going to take it to the car wash but that might take away from the entertainment value.

If MaxPete would donate that exhaust he won it would really finish this off for next year`s calendar photo shoot.

Yup, as soon as my new exhaust system arrives here from California, I'll package it up and send it on down to you Halfmile.

Holy cow - that thing is one homely sh!tcycle and it really does need some help....or perhaps that emergency hand grenade. It would be important to get far enough from home before pulling the pin....but those ergonomics don't look like that might be possible.

As I've said before, I hate to slag-off other people's choices, but some things simply go beyond bad taste and limited functionality and delve into the realm of (as Fred terms it) "vandalism!! One of the most amazing things is the 2-up seat! Again, not wishing to be unpleasant, but I have never met a gal who'd be caught dead on a bike like that, and with the frame extended that much, I doubt it would stand up to that much weight without complaining.

Hopefully, you get the engine out of it before it metastasizes and ruins that too.

Honestly, I don't think it looks all that bad, lol. I kinda like the military scheme and it does go with the other 1940s frame mods. To me, it really doesn't look much different than any of the other hard tailed 650s I see around here. It's also very typical - half done, lol. Too many of these get hacked up and never finished. The hard tail is usually done first then nothing much else happens. It's not easy to build a complete custom motorcycle. Many of us are good at some aspects like paint or wiring, or engine work, but very few can do it all. I see these half done projects for sale all the time. They say they lost interest or have no time. Really, I think it finally sunk in that they're way over their head and don't have the skills to complete the project.

The XS was sold today to a man and his 12 year old son with the sole intent. of just getting it running and entering it in the Grease-O- Rama event this upcoming spring. (Rat Bike Class)?? The young man couldn`t be prouder if it was a brand new bike. I did get it to run for a brief moment on starting fluid yesterday and since they have several other motorcycles I don`t think it will be much of a challenge. When I was 12 my dad brought home a Cushman scooter, a monumental day in my life for sure.

Well, good for the young lad. I hope he is safe and has fun with it and you're dead right halfmile - he will never forget this day.

Cheers,

Pete

Back