Tool Kit , factory original

Ordered these off Ebay last week. 15 bucks, free shipping. Just showed up today.

IMG_20190729_173252.jpg

I was looking through toolboxes in a pawn shop today and found a 8/10 wrench stamped Yamaha that looks just like the 12/14 wrench and bought it for a dollar.

I was looking for a Craftsman 10mm combo wrench. What I use right now is an MIT I bought decades ago. A couple years ago it seemed like I was using mostly 10, so I bought a Snap-On 10 just because I was using 10 all the time. It slips off bolt heads like you wouldn't believe. Doesn't look like anything is wrong with it. The MIT is much better. Has never slipped. Small size like that, breaking isn't a concern, so...I'm going to continue with it.

Years ago, like around 1975, I remember the guy I learned my mechanicin' fundamentals from mentioning that American tools were the best, and tools stamped India were second best. I can't remember the time too clearly, but that implies American tools were somewhat hard to afford, relating to the link in my prices of tools thread. At one point I bought a set of inch wrenches stamped India. I wish I'd gotten the same in a metric set. Good quality, and kind of exotic in today's world. Thinking too much about mechanicin' details. Must have been the falling asleep to Wagner last night.

Last edited:
If you do an eBay search for metric motorcycle tool kits, you can find lot of used kits for sale. There are also some very good aftermarket tool kits there. If you go back through this thread, you’ll get a pretty good idea what came in the factory tool kit, the size wrenches you’ll need will be pretty standard fare for all the 650’s. You can also find some more info from this topic in the tech section,

http://www.xs650.com/threads/tool-kit.178/

If you want factory style tools, you can buy some from eBay and keep shopping until you round out your kit. I’ve noticed that no two people tend to carry the exact same tools. I’ve got factory tool rolls , but if I’m going anywhere far from home I supplement it with a few things, a small roll of wire, some zip ties, a small crescent wrench, a shop rag, extra spark plugs etc.
Like I said, everybody has their own ides. Truth is, most of the time I’m out riding, my only tools are a cell phone and credit card! :laugh2:

Yes, keep watching eBay. Original used Yamaha wrenches pop up all the time. I recently scored these for about $10. What I was mainly after was the 22mm box wrench (for the front axle) .....

sIn2KfG.jpg

Thanks. After I sent the post I did look on ebay. The pricing wasn't too bad but many variations in the kits. Good idea about the 22mm wrench. However, the best tool kit(s) is the phone & credit card! LOL!

Back