Top motor mounts

tadd442

dude.....
Reaction score
People,
I am using a p-nut tank on my build. It is just the look I am after & I love it! This means either the use of a custom top motor mount, or the elimination of the top motor mount.
I have chosen to make a custom top motor mount. My belief is that even a bad motor mount is better than none at all. This does not mean that I would like a bad motor mount.....well, you get the picture. Yamaha thought it was needed, therefore I do as well.
My frame is a 1975. I have removed the stock neck gussets and replaced them with 3/16" plate (running the length, in line with the center-underside of the spine) as they were in the way as well. I have also added a smaller piece between the down tubes made from the same 3/16" plate.
I have also chosen to reuse the oem top motor mounts, but only the lower halves that mount to the motor itself, and use plate to extend towards the center of the motor & the gusset plate already installed. Then I will use more plate to extend vertically and subsequently bolt that to the neck gusset running the length of the spine.
MY QUESTION IS:

Will drilling through, and bolting the 3 pieces of plate be sufficient, or should a bung be used in the spine plate? I am wondering if the spine plate can withstand it's duties using only a drilled hole or should it be reinforced?

use bungs. or do like i did, drill thru, then weld in a thick gauge tubing to reinforce the backbone. then u just slide your bolts thru. I used sholder bolts for a tighter fit, no slop.

IMG_1409.jpg

Back