Top yoke (triple clamp) difference?

tdub78

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I've got a 78 XS650 and trying to replace the top yoke with integrated risers (originally had clubmans) for something a little cleaner to go with my clip-ons - the yoke I got from the wreckers doesn't fit though - was there a difference between the specials/standards? or has the guy palmed me off something different? The measurement between the neck bolt is shorter on the new one.

looking at a motolanna billet yoke but thats extra $$$ and want to make sure its going to fit...

AFAIK all triple tops are interchangeable from 77 on, they also all are identical and have the two holes for the the risers so if the top triple you got from the wreckers doesn't have the two fairly large holes for the risers it's not XS650. Durgam will soon have very nice looking billet top triples available.

gggGary,

They are all the same except that the '80 to 83 upper triples have provision for the ignition switch that incorporates the yoke lock as well.

If the upper he got has the intergrated riser then they came off something else.
The XS1100 trees I have the risers are built into the upper tree and the offset is less, about 5/8 inch. I think the XS750, XS850, XS1100 used trees like that. I have a set of forks off an 82 Seca 650 turbo, it has the risers built in to the upper tree.

thanks guys,

hmm that explains a lot - its obviously not a stock front end - pic of the yoke attached.

The 2nd yoke I have is a XS650 part for sure - large holes for the risers are built in.

I'm probably the 4th/5th owner so who knows what they've done.

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    237.2 KB · Views: 241
The difference is where the gauges bolt on.

The 74/75 top is specific to the 74/75 and the later model gauges wont bolt on

The 76-79 Standard top will swap the gauges between each other and will take the Special gauges but do not have the bolt holes to mount the Special ignition switch

The Special tops will not take the Standard gauges.

The risers are the same on all brackets from 74 and on, i do not know about the 70-73 top

Back