toruqe specs for 2 bolts next to spark plugs and 1 bolt in rear of the cylinder head

jimmybrown78

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
1) Hey I have looked and looked and I cant find the torque specs for these 3 bolts. My manual says that the bolt sizes are 1 x 6mm (rear) and 2 x 8mm (spark plugs), but my bolts are 1 x 10mm (rear) and 2 x 12mm (spark plugs). Looking at my bolt patterns in the manual I think the 2 spark plug bolts are bolt # 9 & 10 and the bolt to the rear is bolt # 11, is this correct?

2) Also the manual does not state weather or not liquid gasket is needed on the gasket between the cylinder jugs and the head, but I have have seen allot of forums stating it is. I put liquid gasket on the bottom of the paper gasket ( part touching the jugs and not on the top of the paper gasket (part touching the head). Should I remove the head and aplly the liquid gasket there also?

Please help!!!!! And before you blast me for not doing research on my own, I promise you I have looked and looked with no resolved.

Your manual is correct. The single one at the back is 6 mm thread, use 7 ft-lbs. The 2 under the plugs are 8 mm thread, use 14 ft-lbs.

Perhaps you are confusing the bolt head size with the thread size. Torque is determined by the thread size.

Head Gasket: Its become common practise, to run a small bead of Three Bond 1104, or similar, around the camchain tunnel and the 4 outer studs. Use it on both sides. Just a small bead, don't apply it to the full surface.

Back