2 questions: one for rear grab bar & carburator diaphragm

73TX650blueflake

XS650 Member
Reaction score
My '73 TX650 needs new diaphragms so I contacted JLB Industries which makes these thin membranes but need to know what carburetors I have. My service manual reads BS38 x 2.....but doesn't read Mukoni. I thought most early Yamaha's if not all had Mukoni! The cover over my diaphragm reads "Solex". So need some assistance so I don't waste time ordering the incorrect membrane.
Also the Partzilla diagram for this bike shows a rear grab bar/passenger handle (photo attached), but mine did not have this. I know '72 had these vertical bars, but have yet to see one on a '73 or '74. Just looking for someone's expertise on this extra piece of chrome.
My actual "grab bar" on the side of the seat (which helps place bike on center stand) is crusty, so also looking for a location in the states that does re-chroming....any suggestions?
Thanks & happy riding all.

Attachments

• TX650 grab bar.jpg
    TX650 grab bar.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 122
Last edited:
I didn't think so "txxs". Was this handle for the 70, 71 & 72 only??....of course I found one for dirt cheap too.
Did this mount to the seat pan or the rear chrome fender (just curious)? Thanks for the illustration...very helpful.

Ok...I will check when I get to the shop this afternoon. I'm guessing my seat pan will not have any mounting holes present. What year is your XS650? Do you need a grab handle? Happy Friday.... (Bob)

Nope, you don't have Mukoni carburetors. All XS650 carburetors were made by Mikuni. The original BS38 was designed by Solex, a French manufacturer, and produced by Mikuni under license, so early BS38s have Solex castings in the carb tops.

Thanks for that info, "grizld1". Yes mine reads Solex as well....now I need to locate to model on the JBM site to see if he has BS38 sized diaphragms.Good luck to me......again thanks....resurrecting this TX650 beast has been nothing short of a challenge.

Back