Totally weird... Bike just died on me.

cheftay

Keepin' it real
Reaction score
Ok so today i was going riding with a buddy and about two miles after we left the house my bike just died!
So i rolled it around the next turn and spent about 3 hours trying to figure out what the deal was. My right cylinder was super lean and my left one the diaphragm in the carb wasn't sealing well so i think that was causing the plug to be really dark on that side and so my buddy and I took apart the carbs and fixed those on the side of the road and dropped the needles in both just to see if that would help me any because my header-to-muffler joint isn't very good so a lot of air is passing through there..

But anyway, the carburetors didn't fix the problem.

We tried jump starting it and that resulted in nothing.

I took out a spark plug and grounded it to the engine to see if i'm getting a spark and there's nothing there.
I just installed the ultimate coil from mikes and i've got a pamco unit as well.

the lock nut on the advance rod( right side) was very very VERY loose also but I tended to that and still no spark.

Finally hauled it home and charge the battery fully and still wont start.

what could be the reason I'm not getting any spark? the bike ran fine for about 80 miles on the new coil a day ago and never once had the plugs been ungrounded so I don't see the coil being the problem, but electrical stuff blows my mind.

Very sorry for the long winded post but thanks for the help!

Cheftay

What do you have going on for a fuse panel? Do you have a multimeter? If so, start at the battery and work your way to the coils checking for 12 volts.

cheftay,

Try this procedure to test the PAMCO and the coil without having to run the engine:

1. Use a voltmeter and check for battery voltage on each of the red/white wires with the key and kill switch are turned on.
2. The dual output coil has to have both spark plug wires connected to a spark plug at all times.
3. To test for spark, connect one of the spark plug wires to a spark plug that is grounded to the engine.
To test for spark without having to turn the engine over, do this procedure:
1. Remove the PAMCO rotor.
2. Remove the locating pin in the advance rod.
3. Reinstall the rotor, but without the pin.
4. Replace the nut holding the rotor on loosely. This will allow you to spin the rotor to produce a spark without having to turn the engine over.
5. Connect one of the spark plug wires to a spark plug that is grounded to the engine, but not installed in the engine.
6. Make sure that the other spark plug wire is connected to a spark plug in the engine.
7. Turn on the ignition switch and the kill switch.
8. Spin the rotor while looking at the gap in the spark plug for a spark.
9. Turn off the kill switch and the ignition switch.

If you cannot get spark, them PM me for warranty details.

Okay thanks! i'll check all those things this afternoon and let you guys know what i'm getting..

As for fuses, i've only got one in-line fuse right off the positive terminal of the battery, no fuse box though.

Okay so I ran a few tests and I was getting about 11 volts from the battery all the way to the red and the green wires that connect to my coil( i don't think that I have a red/white wire anywhere?

My spark plugs caps were registering 6ohms of resistance

And when i turned the pamco rotor via petes instructions I was not getting any spark from the plug but when i looked close there was a big long spark going across part of the pamco plate behind the rotor. Right beside the top screw in this picture and the spark made like a long L shape if that makes any difference

IMG_0143.jpg

cheftay,

Measure the resistance from the primary to the secondary of the coil using your highest Ohm range. That is from either of the terminals to either of the spark plug wires or caps with the ignition and kill switch off.

I just went out and tested that from each terminal to each cap and I got nothing out of either of them. The needle on my meter didn't even move and I replaced the battery in it just to make sure

cheftay,

Try this procedure to test the PAMCO and the coil without having to run the engine:

1. Use a voltmeter and check for battery voltage on each of the red/white wires with the key and kill switch are turned on.
2. The dual output coil has to have both spark plug wires connected to a spark plug at all times.
3. To test for spark, connect one of the spark plug wires to a spark plug that is grounded to the engine.
To test for spark without having to turn the engine over, do this procedure:
1. Remove the PAMCO rotor.
2. Remove the locating pin in the advance rod.
3. Reinstall the rotor, but without the pin.
4. Replace the nut holding the rotor on loosely. This will allow you to spin the rotor to produce a spark without having to turn the engine over.
5. Connect one of the spark plug wires to a spark plug that is grounded to the engine, but not installed in the engine.
6. Make sure that the other spark plug wire is connected to a spark plug in the engine.
7. Turn on the ignition switch and the kill switch.
8. Spin the rotor while looking at the gap in the spark plug for a spark.
9. Turn off the kill switch and the ignition switch.

If you cannot get spark, them PM me for warranty details.

if i perform 1-3 do i need to do 1-9 below?

i tested the voltage at the coils and im getting right around 12 volts. pull a plug and ground it, kick over and no spark (did this on both sides)

marv.....,

If you don't mind. If you are then still not getting a spark, then PM me and we will get you started on the warranty procedure.

Back