Tough kicker

wingman1946

1978 XS 650e
Reaction score
This is a new bike to me as most of my wrenching has been on Honda fours. No kickers. It is almost impossible to kick over the engine. Stops me dead about half way down. If I continue the kick from there it is hardly enough throw to get her to start. Any ideas where to look? FYI: I did have a few kickers back in the day BUT I am only 5'6" and almost 70 so I can't be kicking this thing all day. :banghead:

If you're pulling the clutch in you're gonna be kicking forever. If you're not doing that, kicker assembly may need some attention. Starter motor is no good?

The starter does spin but doesn't appear to connect to the engine. That is a project for another day. I am aware I should not be pulling the clutch. :) But that WOULD make it much easier to kick.

You may have to just up your game here and kick it like you really mean it, lol. Also, put the bike on the centerstand and stand on the pegs. That way you can put all your weight into it.

Just for S and G I tried it while pulling in the clutch just to see if it made any difference in the throw if the kicker. That is a negative. just as hard either way.

Thanks for the replies guys. I bought this old gal in three boxes. Fortunately the engine was still mounted in the frame. Also unfortunately the center stand won't mount with the after market mufflers that came with it in place. I expect to rectify that at some point. Maybe try hooking it up to the bike jack... I did start it a couple times while it was hooked up there before. Gonna be tuff pulling that jack around behind the bike though :) Is it really suppose to be that hard to kick???

In my experience, no. Not saying it's effortless but it shouldn't be straining the way it sounds like it is.

Just a case of getting the knack of it, when I first got mine I found it hard work, now I have got used to it, it's easy.

Yes it does run. Checked that first thing after getting a new battery for it. After 5twins suggested the center stand I decided to give that a try. That helped some. The XS is much easier to get on the stand than the CB 750's. Never used those. I have had to give her a shot of starter fluid when I have run it ,unless it was already warmed up. I am thinking the slow circuit is plugged up at least partially. I need to keep it choked for quite a while before it will idle. So I suppose the next adventure is to order up carb kits. I already have some of the Yamaha carb cleaner that doesn't effect the rubber goodies. Used that as the first line of attack on the CB fours. Getting those four carbs out and back in was a total pia. Not to mention you more than likely would need new rubber boots (eight of them) before you would ever get them to seal right again. Big $. Anyway thanks to all for the suggestions.

Just for S and G I tried it while pulling in the clutch just to see if it made any difference in the throw if the kicker. That is a negative. just as hard either way.

Hi wingman,
from what you say, your kicker ain't working right.
When you pull the clutch in and kick the pedal down it ain't connected to the engine no more and should go through it's complete swing with very little resistance.
Once you've got the kickstart pedal sorted, here's how a 5'-6" person can kick it.
Put the bike in the gutter.
Stand on the sidewalk holding the bike like you and it were a tripod.
Kick from off the bike with your right leg.
Kicking from on the bike while it's on the centerstand works too but your foot tends to move outward when kicking like that and can slip off the kicker so the pedal can rake up your shin.

I've always had the best luck and success kicking my bikes on the centerstand, standing on the pegs. Besides the better application of force, I think the bikes start better with the carbs level. My SR500 single could and would sometimes foul the plug if starting was attempted on the sidestand.

You want to kick something funky, try an early '70s BMW twin, lol. The kicker is on the left and kicks out to the side, not back.

Boy sounds like you could mount a suicide clutch and a hand shifter to that thing and entertain yourself without ever leaving the barn.

I have it starting now and it will idle when warmed up. YAAA!! Now I have discovered it is running the battery down while it is idling. I am driving myself nuts searching for a walk thru for the charging components. Any help to save my sanity would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

I have it starting now and it will idle when warmed up. YAAA!! Now I have discovered it is running the battery down while it is idling. I am driving myself nuts searching for a walk thru for the charging components. Any help to save my sanity would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Just as an FYI most bikes won't charge until 2000-2500 rpm. Doesn't mean you don't have a problem but it does need to rev to charge.

It is my opinion (and experience) that a bike will keep the battery charged, at an 1100 - 1200 idle, if the charging system (including lights and wiring) is in a well maintained status. Of course this one is not anywhere near that status. Yet.

Back