Tracker build series (First set)

Thanks. I ordered and then received a set of HAGON shocks and I intended to put those on, but then these Hammerheads sort of fell out of the sky into my lap and then I found a set of NOS rebuild kits for them on FleaBay, so I bought those and overhauled the shocks since I had no idea what kind of a life they had had nor how worn out they COULD be.

How do they perform? I've got a pair on my XS but haven't run it with them on it yet.

Love the build

OK..5twins...here are the brass washers that are going on the outer studs to hold things together....I couldn't get my hands on any locally and having them shipped in would cost more than the darn parts, so I jsut made some...about 15 minutes on the lathe and....SHAZAAM!!...done!

I say you make a bunch of em and let us know what want for em. I will sign up for a set. :bow2:

Very nice. Boy, I wish I had one of those, lol. I might have a little project for you.

One of those what? A washer or a lathe? If you mean a lathe, they are around for sale occasionally and come in real handy when you are in the middle of a build and need to make a bushing, washer or spacer that is "custom" for the application and most likely not available on the market....though even if it is, it may be nearly impossible to find and then there are shipping costs and delays to consider. Of course, your local machine shop can probably make about anything that you can design...all they need is a drawing with some specs and there you go! Then again, that "ain't CHEEEP", plus you miss out on the satisfaction of making it yourself.

I'm thinking that you are one of the sort of guys that enjoys making stuff yourself. Plus, it is kind of fun, when someone asks where you got "that...whatever" and you can say "I made it." A lot of people then ask, "What do you mean..YOU MADE IT?" They just don't seem to get it for some reason.:laugh:

Yes, I meant the lathe. I know exactly where you're coming from. I would rather do anything I can myself. I don't mind buying a tool or two to do it either. The next time I do that job, the tool just got cheaper. I'll P.M. you about my little job. You'll like this and I'm sure you'll be willing to help me out. Sure, I could go to a local place but we're bike enthusiasts, they're most likely not. You will understand what needs doing and why. They may not and just make the part to my certain provided spec. I want someone who understands the "why" along with the machining. Indecently, once you know about this, you will probably be running out to your local bike boneyard to find one of these and modify it for your 650.

How do they perform? I've got a pair on my XS but haven't run it with them on it yet.

Love the build

Thanks for the comments! The Hammerheads seem decent so far, but then I have only ridden the bike on fairly smooth (paved) streets so far, so can't really comment on how they work when pushed.

Ummm ... I meant to say "incidentally", must be getting dyslexic in my old age here, lol.

I had some chain guard issues with the aluminum one I made that is on the bike in the pictures. It was getting hit by the chain occasionally, resulting in the chain starting to chew its way up through the front part of the guard. I made a new one..this time with slightly different dimensions, allowing more vertical clearance for the chain, so hope fully it won't require any "adjustments"! I made the old aluminum one out of 16 ga sheet aluminum with a bracket for the front where it bolts to the swing arm made out of chopped up aluminum angle iron, but the new one is made of 18 ga stainless steel with a doubler around the nut for the rear mount and another at the base of the front mount.

So far that is the only issue with the build.

Back