Tracker Extraordinaire rescue

XSTime

ā€œHouston, we have a problemā€
Top Contributor
Reaction score
šŸ€Luck has gifted me a whole new XS650 experience.
Through local connections here in Eastern Washington State, I thankfully will rescue this 78 Tracker project which did have an ambitious start many years ago.
Fortunately being an XS650 enthusiast, this project will once again progress towards the dream of the man who invested ideas and much effort.
Brought home mostly as the pics show. Washed, looked over, I just cannot pass this opportunity to both share as well as seek assistance in the build of the Tracker.
Winter can be the best time to commit to the many hours of work.
Of course this project will be further disassembled first for verification of fitment.
First pics šŸ˜Ž

Attachments

• IMG_5728.jpeg
    IMG_5728.jpeg
    693 KB · Views: 145
  • IMG_5730.jpeg
    IMG_5730.jpeg
    753.9 KB · Views: 144
  • IMG_5729.jpeg
    IMG_5729.jpeg
    712 KB · Views: 144
  • IMG_5719.jpeg
    IMG_5719.jpeg
    444.8 KB · Views: 167
  • IMG_5732.jpeg
    IMG_5732.jpeg
    354.6 KB · Views: 149
  • IMG_5736.jpeg
    IMG_5736.jpeg
    380.7 KB · Views: 160
šŸ€Luck has gifted me a whole new XS650 experience.
Through local connections here in Eastern Washington State, I thankfully will rescue this 78 Tracker project which did have an ambitious start many years ago.
Fortunately being an XS650 enthusiast, this project will once again progress towards the dream of the man who invested ideas and much effort.
Brought home mostly as the pics show. Washed, looked over, I just cannot pass this opportunity to both share as well as seek assistance in the build of the Tracker.
Winter can be the best time to commit to the many hours of work.
Of course this project will be further disassembled first for verification of fitment.
First pics šŸ˜Ž
Good bones for sure! Like the pipes. Interesting finish on the edges of the engine cooling fins. Are they ground/filed or is there some texture to it?

Like the pipes. Interesting finish on the edges of the engine cooling fins. Are they ground/filed or is there some texture to it?
The strange machined finish on the cylinder and head fins were done in Henderson Nevada by ā€œDiamond Heads LLCā€
Pipes , as well as the body are old Omars items.
1/2 mile pipes said to be a bit ā€œnotableā€ by reviews, non serviceable .. Varoom!

Body & Wheels coming off this weekend.
This bike wont be double disked up front.
The rear 19ā€ Omars conversion is quite light.
The whole bike will be light!
The engine is stock other than the bling fins. Iā€™m taking the top end back off to looksie everywhere. BS38ā€™s, fresh coils , wires & points. 706 piston kit is very tempting to try to locate !
I wanna spin that rear track tire and feel that thrill šŸ¤©šŸ‘

The engine is stock other than the bling fins. Iā€™m taking the top end back off to looksie everywhere. BS38ā€™s, fresh coils , wires & points. 706 piston kit is very tempting to try to locate !
Hoos racing still has JE 700 pistons.

If you're gonna open it back up, might as well go whole hog on 'er.... :sneaky:

https://yamahaxs650.com/product-category/engine/page/6/

1697766655276.png

I really do like that BB750 kit! Have since I heard of em.
Thing is somebody put so much effort in dressing the fins and painting high temp that I feel obligated to finish it that way.. but bigger pistons ? Re grind cam? I donā€™t know yet..

Thing is somebody put so much effort in dressing the fins and painting high temp that I feel obligated to finish it that way.. but bigger pistons ? Re grind cam? I donā€™t know yet..
That's where the Hoos 700 would work. You bore out your cyls. or send them to Hoos' machinist, Roger Johnson to do. That and a Shell#1 cam, also from Hoos was recommended to me by a forum member.

IMG_5754.jpeg

Weekend begins with further disassembly of the Tracker.
Wheels off ! Just had to see the Omars 19ā€ conversion spacers for myself. šŸ§šŸ‘
All clean and seemingly good there. Swingarm feels just right and is said to have upgraded bushings. Going to remove it anyway to cross drill the spacer for grease passages and confirm fitment.
Very light rear wheel !
Front wheel removed for inspection. Discs removed.
Actual total weight of all 3 original 7mm thick iron discs is heavy! Changing to 1 5mm thick disc up front and a 5mm disc out back also will be a good decrease in weight. (XS1100 stuff)
Body off tomorrow, it does need touched up and clear coated.
Digging through parts/ hardware stashes of both my own as well as bags of stuff which came with the project , inventory is going well ! Evenings are good for the small stuff.
What are these shocks? They look appropriate, fit nice, feel a bit soft but havenā€™t even been adjusted from soft yet. Iā€™ll gladly try them
šŸ˜Ž

Attachments

• IMG_5753.jpeg
    IMG_5753.jpeg
    503.4 KB · Views: 58
  • IMG_5752.jpeg
    IMG_5752.jpeg
    328.1 KB · Views: 64
  • IMG_5751.jpeg
    IMG_5751.jpeg
    321.4 KB · Views: 56
  • IMG_5757.jpeg
    IMG_5757.jpeg
    483.6 KB · Views: 56
Went to the bones, as necessary to confirm fitment and lube of the steering stem and swingarm pivot.
āœ”ļø swingarm is upgraded with bronze bushings and they are tight, so just greased it up and put it back.
āœ”ļø steering stem is upgraded with tapered roller bearings and they are set, so greased em too.
Cool thing there is that there has been history of tapered bearings changing the distance between the triple clamps. This is important to me because Iā€™m changing the plan.. instead of after market ears, head light, turn signals etc..
I am going to use Yamaha components. The original ā€œSpecialā€ chrome headlight ears fit just right! So an original headlight put together nicely will fit and original turn signals too.
Disassembled the shocks and will add original Yamaha chrome trim there too.
Adding chrome trim throughout this build as it will not only be light, loud, and rowdy to ride, but classy, detailed, and bling
šŸ¤©
IMG_5769.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_5767.jpeg
    IMG_5767.jpeg
    285.6 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_5771.jpeg
    IMG_5771.jpeg
    506.8 KB · Views: 59
  • IMG_5772.jpeg
    IMG_5772.jpeg
    300.8 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_5774.jpeg
    IMG_5774.jpeg
    498.4 KB · Views: 58
  • IMG_5776.jpeg
    IMG_5776.jpeg
    480.2 KB · Views: 58
  • IMG_5777.jpeg
    IMG_5777.jpeg
    326.3 KB · Views: 57
I believe I may have added an oā€™ring to fill the gap made by the tapered roller bearings. You canā€™t have that rattling. Iā€™m pretty sure the tapered roller bearings take up more space than the OE ball bearings.

You can use your fancy jugs and make it a 750.
https://yamahaxs650.com/product/big-bore-cylinder-sleeve/
https://yamahaxs650.com/product/big-bore-80mm-piston-kit/
Just happen to have one I did that's going to be installed in a few days.
1698178660071.png
1698178707409.png
1698178770150.png

Back