Tracker

jtziggy

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey guys, its been awhile but I am up and running again I pulled the motor and added a #1 shell cam and some VM34's. I put everything back together and took it to the Tucson Vintage Bike show and won 1st place in Custom and or Cafe, they did'nt have a Tracker class but thats o.k. and now it has a mirror and a license plate.
IMG_2214.JPG
IMG_2222.JPG

Thanks JT
IMG_2225.JPG

Great tracker build, Ziggy........congrats on the award. (what exhaust headers do you have?)

those look like Omar's 1/2 mile pipes.n I hope they are as i bought those for mine but haven't had them on the bike. I really like the look!

Great tracker build, Ziggy........congrats on the award. (what exhaust headers do you have?)
Thank you. The exhaust are Hoos Racing 1/2 mile kit, the reason I went with them and not Omars is that I wanted to mount them how I wanted and to be able to adjust the length (shorter).

Thank you. The exhaust are Hoos Racing 1/2 mile kit, the reason I went with them and not Omars is that I wanted to mount them how I wanted and to be able to adjust the length (shorter).

That's the exhaust I have on mine...the left header doesn't fit close like yours even after I exchanged the left pipe with Gary.

Attachments

• HPIM1138 (2).JPG
    HPIM1138 (2).JPG
    386.7 KB · Views: 160
That's the exhaust I have on mine...the left header doesn't fit close like yours even after I exchanged the left pipe with Gary.
YIKES!!!! That left pipe just doesn't look like it should. I had never noticed that before. It looks like I will have some cutting and hacking to do.

I think its just in the mounting, I put my left right down the middle, I made mine shorter, and it is only about a 1/2" to right of the tire and I used the center stand spring bracket for the mount.

I had Gary make my right pipe with a shorter bend on the inlet side to give a little more clearance for the oil cooler fitting in the side case. I made my own rear hangers and used his rubber isolator bolts. Gary has great stuff!
XS650 TRACKER 009.JPG

Last edited:
Ziggy.....Who did your fins? or did you tackle that yourself? If so how did you do them?
Hey Doug,
If I had to do the fins again, I probably would still do it but it is a pain. I used a flat file on as many of the fins I could reach then a dremel on some, then once you have them flat, start sanding, then polish.

Last edited:
I think its just in the mounting, I put my left right down the middle, I made mine shorter, and it is only about a 1/2" to right of the tire and I used the center stand spring bracket for the mount.

Hi Ziggy, I snugged the header flange and moved it all ways to get the best fit. Like I said, I contacted Gary about the bend and he sent me his new one.
Although it was better, it still wasn't like the Shell pipes I had in the '80s. I asked a 'muffler' shop if they could increase the bend some and they said yes.
This would lift the tail of the pipe, which it needs. I also thought about grinding an angle at the intake. I'll tackle it someway this week.
Halfmile's left header also falls below the right side like mine on the side view.
Thanks for both your help...we'll get it right sometime.

It`s been a long day. I meant the "right side" pipe. I must have been thinking of my Military Right!

Hi Ziggy, I snugged the header flange and moved it all ways to get the best fit. Like I said, I contacted Gary about the bend and he sent me his new one.
Although it was better, it still wasn't like the Shell pipes I had in the '80s. I asked a 'muffler' shop if they could increase the bend some and they said yes.
This would lift the tail of the pipe, which it needs. I also thought about grinding an angle at the intake. I'll tackle it someway this week.
Halfmile's left header also falls below the right side like mine on the side view.
Thanks for both your help...we'll get it right sometime.
Gary had sent me two right sides at first, that was fun. I really had to do alot of grinding on the flanges as well.
Good luck, JT

funny, all I remember is port, stern, fore and aft...now which it right?

Back