Tranny flummox....

motormike

XS650 Guru
Top Contributor
XS650.com Supporter
Reaction score
Was rip'n along on my Xs1 (1970).... interstate, and as I rolled onto the exit grabbed the clutch... nothing... Oooh... so I had to " mickey shift " it home..only about a mile... caught the light and ignored the stop sign. Today decided to take it to my workshop.... pop'd the clutch worm gear cover and the nut was loose.. strange, they are never.. loose. So I set the screw and tighten the nut..... and off I went... for about a mile... had to adjust it again.. running the screw in more. Off I go... for about half a mile... again ... run the screw in... without the nut.... Took off... caught three lights green and jumped on the interstate. Rip'd nine miles.... clutch lever isn't doing anything.
I get off the interstate... first light green... yippie !...2nd light turned yellow... I'm screwed. I'm a half mile from the shop. I have no clutch lever and no adjustments.... Light turns green.. I hit first and it launches and stops.. dead. I push it up on the sidewalk and pushed a block and half. The road goes down and under RR tracks.... I'm sitting on the sidewalk.. bike running... light turns green.. I wait for traffic to clear..let the bike roll down.. get some speed and hit first... YES ! I'm running... mickey shifted to the shop.
I pull the left sided cover.. and the worm gear looks fine.. no issues... Thought I'd try and different left side cover.. but... he had no worm gear and the one I have has the small bolt pattern. But.. I think I have a bigger gremlin then... a worm gear. Pulled the one piece clutch push rod... no issues....
The problem will sit..... I'm about to take a mooching road trip.... Monday kiss the wife good bye..... mooch off Ex sister in law, Seattle, then a friend in Albuquerque NM, and a old army buddy near Denver. Going to t Ducati 450.jpg oss the 450 Ducati on the truck... simply because I can hump it on and off without a coronary-hernia...

It reads to me that your clutch is not dis- engaging.
Have a look under the right hand cover, pull the lever, see if the plates separate.
Something may have come adrift and made its way under the clutch cover and is stopping the pressure plate from moving. Although I think this is unlikely as debris usually falls to the bottom of the cover.

Back