transmissions r h side cover .... removal...

oldbiker

oldbiker
Reaction score
hi guys well late yesterday i tried putting a sharp thin wood chisel in the joint to remove the side cover and after much banging prior to that i got the chisel in the gap up near the kick start then i removed the chisel to try another spot and immediatelt the case sprung closed????? is it the spring on the kick start shaft dragging it back ????? i,m only guessing.. i,m greatful for help . i,ve tried talking nicely to him ... but nothing .. regards oldbiker.........sorry guys when i removed the side oil filter .. i found it to be a fine copper or brass mesh very fine ,, which stumpted me as i did expect an old paper filter ...

Last edited:
oldbiker, check again to make sure you have all the case screws removed. I missed one down low in front, it was covered by crud and road grime. I broke the case...

there are ten bolts holding the cover on, never been a fan of driving a wedge into a gasket surface, feel along the front edge of the cover (arrow) to find cover overhang, tap outward using a flat bladed punch or screwdriver

Attachments

• crankcase-cover-right-xs650.JPG
    crankcase-cover-right-xs650.JPG
    68.2 KB · Views: 84
the filters on these bikes are cleanable. rinse off with carb brake cleaner, let it dry out for a while, and put it back in. Use yamabond to 'glue' the oval gasket to the filter, and to glue the round gasket to the filter cover. this makes them reusable for a few take-offs. had mine offa handfull of times, I just cinch it back together, and no leaks so far.

thanks to jayel... i had left a long screw in... near the oil filter... i got the cover off .... and i noticed the kick starter spring was not brocken or the hook was not straightened as a fault... anyway i,ve put the new ..mikesxs spring on the shaft and now i,m trying to tension it ,then push it in so its pre..tensioned.. and i found that i,ll have to remove the clutch hub and plates toget to the starter clip.. i can see that the clip has to go on the other side of the hump in the casting where its resting against now.. i was thinking of trying to squeeze the little leg together a little with vice grips and try to spring it over to the othe side ... your thoughts please regards oldbiker

the hairpin spring clip needs to be moved to below the stock posistion
http://www.650motorcycles.com/XSbendix.html
the kickstarter spring can be wound using the lever, put it in as close as possible without engaging the rachet and tension the spring with the lever as you push it in, yeah it's easier to just remove the clutch basket

Attachments

• BendixClipGroove.jpg
    BendixClipGroove.jpg
    25.7 KB · Views: 60
Back