Wanted - Trip counter knob?

OdysseusXS

XS650 padawan
Reaction score
OK, I know this thing isn't called a trip counter knob but the one on the side of my speedometer on my '82 XS650 was missing when I purchased the bike. Are these things hard to come by? Without a fuel gauge, the trip counter would be nice for longer trips on backroads. Anyone got one on a speedo that's a basket case?:shrug:

As far as I know, those knobs are staked onto a non-removable shaft. Kind of a poor design, as other makes do have removable knobs. If you are missing the knob and/or shaft, and you have the stock gauge, then a previous owner owner probably screwed it up, and I doubt that you will ever get it to work again. That's my experience. If you want a trip meter, look for a whole new gauge.

Thanks for the response, just went and had a good look into the hole where the trip counter knob used to be, I can clearly see a metal shaft in there and it looks like it's threaded but it's hard to really see it clearly. Would the same thingy from an xs750 speedo work?

Don't know how, but it sounds like a previous owner managed to shear the shaft, and I am now even more convinced that you will never get the reset to work.
You don't need the thingy from the XS750, you need the whole gauge from the XS750.

Fair enough Dogbunny, the end of the metal shaft has concentric circles machined on it's surface so I'm guessing that something important has definitely been snapped off at some stage, it's also on the left side of the bike, the side that the PO had to replace the front left indicator assembly. I guess the bike got dropped whilst stationary and the indicator arm and the trip counter knob bought it in the fall. Thanks again for the feedback.

Back