Triple tree and fork install question

cmills83

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
I am installing a triple tree and forks on a '80 frame, how are the #8 nuts installed, do I tighten them down to the frame or tighten them together?

yamaha_xs650_triple_tree.jpg

Also, I want to bring the forks up about 1" into the triple clamp, the forks slide up to the top where the bolts are even with the clamp, do I just keep sliding past that or do I need to remove the cap bolts or something else first? They seemed to stop once they were even with the clamp so I wanted to double check before tapping them up more.

You do both with those #8 nuts. Tighten the lower one down to the frame to take up all the freeplay in the neck bearings. Then, while holding the lower one, tighten the upper one against it to lock it in place. Yes, it takes 2 hook spanners to do this. Also, those 2 nuts get installed a certain way. Look closely at them and you will notice one side is flat and the other dished in slightly. Install them dished side to dished side. That presents a flat side down on the lower nut to preload the bearings and a flat side up on the upper one to support the top tree. It also allows the nuts to lock together more progressively and with some "feel" as you tighten them.

The tubes should slide right on through the top trees but you can't go 1", that's too much. About 3/8" is all I feel comfortable with. Go 1" and the lowers will hit the bottom tree on full fork compression.

Use the first stem nut to set your bearing tension, the the second one is tightened against the first to keep it from backing off. This will keep the tension on the bearings from becoming to loose. Your top triple clamp will go over these two nuts and clamp to the steering stem. Further insurance the two nut don't become loose.

You can slide the fork tubes up past the top triple clamp. Just measure each side to make them even. Otherwise you will put a bind on the front axle when you tighten that.

I'd use marine rated grease on the steering stem bearings too.(ref your other post on swing arm bolt)

One thing occurs to me, your tubes not wanting to go up above flush could be an issue with a bent tube???

Possibly, I wasn't trying that hard though until I was sure what I was doing. I just bought the triple tree and forks off ebay but they came from a guy Ive bought from before so hopefully they are ok.

Back