Trippin' in Commando mode

Yes Sir
If you watch at 0.17 it is a bit of Breakdancing going on as they say in Boxing ... sometimes after a solid hit ..hes is going down
Lost in action.
The ignition does not seem to be spot on For heavens sake if that thing kicks back Ouupp ... puhh ..hh might end up in the
Aeroplane section or if it hits the heel or the calf Ougghhhh..hhh
But I give him credits for this upload honesty ... Its real . and it is difficult . I could not start 850 in the 70 ies
And if you look at the Norton Links .Rather quick there is the electric starter coming up as a subject
As the little girl also notice.
I remember people talked about " High Compression Pistons " and landing in the treetops ( jokingly ) .
Perhaps he Bought a little to large motorcycle ..But he is not the first one in History .
Learning by doing
Learned this on an ol' BSA one lunger.... If you hold the bars real tight, the half gainer will land you nicely on the front fender.... much preferable to the pavement. :lmao:

Yes Sir
Ladies and Gentlemen a quick kick start of a 920 cc 11:1
Norton Commando
Including Telling small children to " Shut up "
It is not a small lad Either trying
I doubt any Experienced Enthusiast can watch this without laughing ..

Good grief, that's an excellent way to ruin the centerstand. Someone needs to show him proper kick-starting technique before that thing kicks back and hurts him.

You think the XS650 start path is convoluted?

Norton starter path starts with the gear oil filled transmission. In cold weather it's like trying to stir a bucket of tar. :poo:

related? I ran into this factoid relatively recently.
SAE 90 gear lube is comparable in viscosity to an SAE 50 or SAE 40 engine oil.

Yeah that bike was pretty narrowly focused to a single person's vision. From looking, the bits used were very desireable upgrade parts. But those seldom add much value cuz so many want nut n bolt restorations, a decently presenting 850 was just on bring a trailer, didn't meet reserve at 5500 which seemed a bit low.
Locally "nice looking" bikes are listed in the 8500 to 15,000 range. $4000 to 6,000 "need work" bikes sell quickly.
Mine was a shed bike that ran with a promise of a "just completed" overhaul. Cheap at 3700 It's this winter's victim. I've dropped another 2500? into it (NOT keeping track) and am just getting warmed up. It's getting a restomod treatment and I may well end up with two versions. A long distance light tourer and a "more correcter" back road bomber.
Front end is the focus this winter; new fork tubes, seals, all bushings guides etc. New headlight bucket, ears, LED headlight, stock appearing turn signals added. full brake overhaul with MC sleeved down. rough castings smoothed, polished. New paint, new steering and wheel bearings Several versions of wheels being considered but SS spokes, new tires, rims likely in any case.
If I get through the front end the list is still VERY long Engine, tranny, the Isolastic suspension, swing arm all need attention.Speedo off for an overhaul. I'm no mailman but this is a labor of love and a trip down memory lane as I recreate one I had in the 70's
Forks are back on now.
View attachment 183552
I've ordered a custom painted Interstate (bigger but slightly bulbous appearing) tank and side covers from India for the touring version. No doubt that will be an interesting unwrapping.
Lack of an electric leg may become an issue in the not so distant future. Been working a guy over his shed bike, 850 electric start Commando but he's getting cold feet. The Nortons are mostly owned by enthusiasts that bought, rode them new but the ranks of guys like that who ride are thinning. Perhaps more likely than the XS's to remain in the garage til the owner "goes to the home" or dies.
Edit: new fender also.
Turns out this was just an "assembly model" of a Norton motorcycle. :redface:

Well Gary……what’s the post winter update on your Snortin Norton ? Did you ever get your bodywork from India? Get any major work done on it?

Go ahead rub my nose in it. (thanks for asking :geek:)
Tried to just do front end work, new tubes seals bushings etc, MC bore reduction "kit" SS line, pads, speedo rebuilt, casting clean up, polish, paint etc. didn't even finish that. Plan to get 'r at least road worthy for some riding this year.
Yes I did get the India painted tins, not the ceiling of the Sistine Chapel but they'll be OK in a "will fit" sort of way.
20210406_192429.jpg
20210406_192412.jpg
20210406_184830.jpg

Go ahead rub my nose in it. (thanks for asking :geek:)
Tried to just do front end work, new tubes seals bushings etc, MC bore reduction "kit" SS line, pads, speedo rebuilt, casting clean up, polish, paint etc. didn't even finish that. Plan to get 'r at least road worthy for some riding this year.
Yes I did get the India painted tins, not the ceiling of the Sistine Chapel but they'll be OK in a "will fit" sort of way.
View attachment 192446 View attachment 192447 View attachment 192448

Who was the seller of the tins?? I’m guessing they came from an eBay store??

I purchased an unfinished tr6 triumph tank from one of the eBay sellers “royalchoppers” and man it’s rough. I mean, I’ll get it to work but it’s gonna take a lot of sanding and a lot of body filler (for a brand new tank).

maybe buying a finished tank would keep me from knowing what was under the paint haha

There seems to be a cottage industry in India for manufacturing replica British bike tins. Even if they are not perfect, considering the sorry state of many of these 50 year old gas tanks, I think it’s a great deal to be able to buy new steel tanks already painted.
846BE395-2594-4499-994A-8FBB74B01626.png 640FD4C9-39F7-4B84-A42B-C2EF3117919A.png 5F9E1B22-493C-4F05-A5C3-1AABF27B6D6D.png 26DA3C97-0ABB-45DD-8327-2BA57CFC3F99.png 9A6331D3-D1FB-4787-81C7-2C4EE8BE0015.png 7B18A026-466D-4054-A29D-CB00FC3D7388.png

This one with some alterations;
https://www.ebay.com/itm/154188743376
I picked this ebay seller cuz they had a US based presence, helpful when trying to communicate doing something a bit custom.
Will fit, going to have to do a bit of bending, bracket work, customizing to get it on the bike, a common complaint on the Norton groups. Paint is prolly lacquer and a bit fragile. You know what it's like when you spray over cheap primer and it's on the dry side? yeah like that. The red was agreed to be a deep metallic but it's more of a Campbells tomato soup solid red. Which has kinda grown on me. The plan is for this set to be used for "road trips" it's going to get beat up, used with tankbag, etc. so if it doesn't leak it should be fine. The stock set will get fresh paint locally for "look me" use. :lmao:
Today's project is electrolysis rust removal in the Honda 750A tank.
Coming soon a user report on Motion Pro master Cylinder snap ring pliers,
https://www.ebay.com/itm/352933907412
cuz I've had enough fuggling with old modified snap ring pliers while fighting out the MC snap ring. :mad: :D

Last edited:
This one with some alterations;
https://www.ebay.com/itm/154188743376
I picked this ebay seller cuz they had a US based presence, helpful when trying to communicate doing something a bit custom.
Will fit, going to have to do a bit of bending, bracket work, customizing to get it on the bike, a common complaint on the Norton groups. Paint is prolly lacquer and a bit fragile. You know what it's like when you spray over cheap primer and it's on the dry side? yeah like that. The red was agreed to be a deep metallic but it's more of a Campbells tomato soup solid red. Which has kinda grown on me. The plan is for this set to be used for "road trips" it's going to get beat up with used tankbag, etc. so if it doesn't leak it should be fine.And the stock set will get fresh paint locally for "look me" use. :lmao:
Today's project is electrolysis rust removal in the Honda 750A tank.
Coming soon a user report on Motion Pro master Cylinder snap ring pliers,
https://www.ebay.com/itm/352933907412
cuz I had enough of fuggling with old modified snap ring pliers while fighting out the MC snap ring. :mad: :D

The company I bought mine through has a warehouse in California so that was a plus. Made communication easy. - I told them I was not happy with the tank, grinder marks on it and such, they gave me some money back on the deal. - I think I paid 200 for the tank with taps. - it got me where I wanna be and much cheaper than an original tank.

if the bike was a real triumph slated for a restoration, I’d avoid it.

I don’t trust the primer on the tank, sprayed on like pancake batter too haha.

for what they are they do the job.

Back