Troubleshoot THIS!

My Dad was a high school electricity teacher and he taught us a little mnemonic or verse to help us remember Ohm's Law:

The Indian on the mountain watched the vulture chase the rabbit which can be written as:
I = V / R (resistance in ohms = voltage divided by current in amperes)
or
V = I x R (voltage = current in amperes multiplied by resistance in ohms)
or
R = V / I (resistance in ohms = voltage divided by current in amperes)

Pete

In ET"A" school, I learned this one:

eir.jpg

Cover the one you're solving for, the formula is what remains.

That is, if you're solving for R cover that and what you see is E over I or E/I

In ET"A" school, I learned this one:

eir.jpg

Cover the one you're solving for, the formula is what remains.

That is, if you're solving for R cover that and what you see is E over I or E/I

THAT is ZACKLY the graphic I was looking for DE!

The only wrinkle with that one was that voltage was represented by “E” which means electromotive force - sort of a silly term since a voltage isn’t a force and an “E” doesn’t instinctively represent “Volts”.

Anyhow, the other version of that nemonic was “the eagle on the mountain watched the Indian chase the rabbit - hence the “E”.

The Volt has the units kg m2 s−3 A−1 (kg = mass, m = meter, s = second A = Ampere or a Coulomb per second, Coulomb is the unit of charge). At a serious glance you can see a mass and an acceleration hidden in there ( Acceleration =metres per second squared) which you may recognise from Force = mass x Acceleration. So voltage incorporates a Force . By the time the other units are cancelled we are left with Volt = (Force x Distance)/Coulomb. Force x Distance is the Joule or Energy. So a Volt is sometimes referred to as the Joules per Coulomb or the energy per Coulomb.

The electromotive force is not purely a force by itself.

Note: Amp or Ampere is the number of Coulombs flowing past a point every second.

Edit: Shit I must be bored to have written this.

Last edited:
The Volt has the units kg m2 s−3 A−1 (kg = mass, m = meter, s = second A = Ampere or a Coulomb per second, Coulomb is the unit of charge). At a serious glance you can see a mass and an acceleration hidden in there ( Acceleration =metres per second squared) which you may recognise from Force = mass x Acceleration. So voltage incorporates a Force . By the time the other units are cancelled we are left with Volt = (Force x Distance)/Coulomb. Force x Distance is the Joule or Energy. So a Volt is sometimes referred to as the Joules per Coulomb or the energy per Coulomb.

The electromotive force is not purely a force by itself.

Note: Amp or Ampere is the number of Coulombs flowing past a point every second.

Edit: Shit I must be bored to have written this.

GOTCHA!!
It is difficult to turn off one’s inner-engineer, isn’t it?
Pete

Back