Truing Mikes XS wheel

goodgollyjosh

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
I am having a little difficulty truing a rear 18" aluminum wheel from Mikes. There is a seam in the picture that is causing some problems for me. It is bowed in about .015" on both sides and it is also a high spot on the vertical axis. I tried smacking it around a little with a mallet but to be honest I know how aluminum can be...bends a little then cracks. So, I am thinking about taking it down the street to an aluminum wheel repair shop to see if they can work their magic on it. I did a search earlier on the forum and only turned up issues with lacing. Has anybody else had this problem? I think the wheel cost me around a hundred bucks new. A little disappointed.
mikes xs wheel.jpg

Wiggle at the seam is normal on about all wheels, the seam is welded and hand ground. my advice? Ignore it. As long as the rest of the wheel tracks straight you are good.

I can't remember doing a spoke wheel that didn't have the weld bulge to one extend or another. 15th is actually quite good.

Had one not long ago for a Suzuki RE5 that had a 1/4" bulge, not at the weld, road damage.

Still trued up nicely and runs great, just has a bulge.

Like Gary says, you learn to ignore some things. lol as I look down at my belly. lol

Back