Trying to kickstart my bike

Kathos

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
So Im finally getting to the point where I can attempt to start the bike and tune the carbs.
Problem is I'm out there kicking and kicking and its not even hinting that it wants to turn over.
Over the winter I rewired my bike to go kick only. I also installed mikes rectifier and a vr-115. I didnt touch anything internally on the engine except for replacing the sump filter.
I also installed new black drag bars and new levers for my brake and clutch.
When I kick, the kick feels slightly less resistive compared to what I remember last year but I can still feel it rotating the pistons. When I pull the clutch in, in neutral, the kick has almost no resistance (like it should I believe). The thing that confuses me (other then my engine not turning over) is when I put the bike in first and pull the clutch in, the bike still feels slightly in gear. I cant roll it around like I can in neutral. It does roll though unlike with the clutch out. When the bike is in first clutch in or out, the kick rotates the rear wheel.
This all sound normal?

Put the bike in neutral and dont pull the clutch in, then kick it over. Should fire. For what ever reason, and dont ask me to explain it, the bike has to be in neutral and DO NOT pull the clutch in to kick it and start it, it wont start with the clutch pulled in. You will find out very quickly if you kick it and its in gear. Even with it in gear and the clutch pulled it wont kick and start. Neutral and no clutch, then report back to us lol.

Don't forget to check for gas, I was at work when I first got mine and ran out of gas and I didn't know, but after kicking too many time and I was wore out, yeah I check gas. stupid, just passing my knowledge on.

I pulled the plugs and they were wet with gas. So I dont think thats the issue. With a plug out and the other one in, I tried to check for spark holding the removed plug against the engine with the wires connected. I tried kicking it to see if it sparked and I didnt see any spark. I hope my pamco isnt broke. If I dont see spark, Im guessing its either the pamco isnt seeing power or the pamco itself is broke.
Battery reads 13.5V.
I tried kicking the bike in neutral clutch out and it didnt work. I tried that first thing so now Im trying to find the reason why.

So I tested my pamco co as per http://www.yamahaxs650.com/testing_the_pamco_and_coil.htm.
The primary's resistance tested 3.8 and the plug terminals at 16k.

I hooked up my battery and turned the key to the on position. Should my red/white wires have a voltage when the key is turned on? I think I may not be getting power to the pamco?

Yes, the red/white wires supply battery+ voltage to the ign coil and to the Pamco (circuit board or E-advancer). Is the Kill switch selected to Run? Check the main fuse and the ignition fuse for battery+ voltage.

Yeah. First I checked the kill switch. That checked out. Then I followed it back. Turned out to be the infamous fuse. Swapped fuses and it was a one kick start. The lack of power to the red/white was a dead giveaway. It starts. Now I need to adjust it so I can get it to idle correctly.

Yeah. First I checked the kill switch. That checked out. Then I followed it back. Turned out to be the infamous fuse. Swapped fuses and it was a one kick start. The lack of power to the red/white was a dead giveaway. It starts. Now I need to adjust it so I can get it to idle correctly.

If your bike still has the original 4 position fuse panel, with 4 glass fuses, you need to get rid of it asap, and install automotive blade type fuse holders. Otherwise you will continue to have electrical failures.

My bike has automotive style blade fuses.
Rode my bike for the first time today. It was awesome :]

Back